New 4e Crits from Josef Tham

The enemy lurks in shadows
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Happy October everyone! Dr Josef Tham, having recently gotten back into WFRP 4th Edition, just sent me a batch of new critical effects. You can find them, fitting for October, on the 666th post/page (or whatever that p stands for) on this site.

https://www.windsofchaos.com/?p=666
Hyarion

I believe p is Post_ID, if I remember my phpbb table columns correctly.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Josef

They're pretty much the same as the 2E stuff, meaning basically just gory descriptions to fit the weapon used to inflict the Critical Wound.

I'm using the same die roll columns as the Rule Book and Up In Arms supplement, with roughly the equivalent level/amount of harm and deadliness. With twenty results for each location and most of them not in the same entertaining lethality range as the old 2E versions plus my desire for the results to be reasonably balanced, not too fiddly to keep track of and also funny, my creative abilities were somewhat strained...

For maximum simplicity of use I have tried to stick to the existing rules for injury and trauma as much as possible, using existing Conditions to simulate various effects not adressed in the Rule Book. If you're using homebrewed versions of the Conditions (like the Blood Points for the Bleeding Condition suggested in a different thread) or modifications to the rolls for desired increased/decreased lethality you should have no problems fitting that right into these new charts.

The charts for Cutting (axes etc), Crushing (clubs etc) and Piercing (spears, rapiers, etc) are ready, and I plan to add charts for Bullet, Arrow/Bolt and Natural Weapons (teeth, claws, horns etc) as time allows and inspiration strikes.
FasterThanJesus

Great stuff. Damage specific injuries do add a bit of flavour.

I can convert these to PDF if you want.
Josef

Maybe hold your horses just a moment... I'd like to make a few minor changes before things get put in Downloads. First I'd like to change all references to "Surgical attention" to plain "Surgery" to keep in line with how they use it in the Rule Book. I also need to clarify a few things about the meaning of "Medical Attention", in particular regarding the use of bandages (which the Rule Book says can be used with a Dexterity Test and could thus be a lifesaver for parties without access to the Heal skill, depending on how you interpret it) and the Faxtoryll Herb.
FasterThanJesus

LOL - no worries. Offer is there at any time you want, or if not, that's fine.

Was not my intention to come off as pushy or anything.
Josef

Ok, I've done quite a bit of tweaking, both the charts (mostly minor re-wording) and quite a bit more on the clarification document... especially after re-reading the Rule Book on ways to remove Bleeding Conditions. So they should be ok to reformat for the Downloads page now, whether by Chuckster or anyone else. I'm emailing them to him.
Attachments
Criticals WFRP 4ed Preface Clarifications and Mook Rules - kopia rev.docx
(24.25 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Piercing - kopia rev.docx
(33.31 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Cutting - kopia rev.docx
(33.27 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Crushing - kopia rev.docx
(33.21 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

The post has been updated with the revised docs -- in pdf form now! But thanks for the offer, FTJ.
Josef

Yay, PDFs! Now I can start spreading my gospel! Mwah-ha-ha, today Winds of Chaos, tomorrow the Old World!

Ahem... <Megalomaniac Mode Off>

Feel free to post feed-back, folks! I'm particularly interested in hearing what you think of the Clarifications document - I haven't actually changed anything which is said in the Rule Book, but some of my interpretations of existing rules and stuff from the equipment lists are purely my own take. I found it easiest to just try to get all the various Bleeding Condition removals possible in one place as they are spread all over the Rule Book. If things in the texts need further clarification I may even consider some sort of FAQ and/or Errata (or just keep emailing revised documents to my hero, the poor overworked Chuck).
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Josef wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:46 am If things in the texts need further clarification I may even consider some sort of FAQ and/or Errata (or just keep emailing revised documents to my hero, the poor overworked Chuck).
This is good too! Keep 'em coming.
Josef

I sure will! I'm finished with the Bullet chart but will keep it for myself until I've also done the Bolt/Arrow chart. I've also added some more stuff to the Preface and Clarifications document, including things like a discussion about the iconic Healing Poultice and Healing Draught, and will send it with the next batch. Things have slowed down a bit due to work and other things.
Alfa Jerfr

Awesome stuff. I loved your tables from 2 ed. So glad you made new ones for 4 ed.
ChaosArto

Great materials, if you dare, use GPT-4 to further analyze their narrative and mechanical variety and balance, its an awesome tool to work on any materials. And just a tool, you need to instruct, guide etc it continuously to get the best results.
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Josef's 4e crits added to the Downloads section.
sx dwarf

Bravissimo!

That's what I expected in to appears in Up in Arms but unfortunately C7 didn't go this way.

Thank you!
Josef

Ok, so I'm finished with the Bullet and Bolt/Arrow charts. I've also done some minor modifications on the previous ones, as well as added quite a bit of material to the "Preface And Clarifications" document, as well as added yet another document describing how to apply my stuff in descriptions on the tabletop.

I'll email them to Chuck for the Downloads section. Meanwhile, I'll add them as Word attachments to this post so you can have a quick look. I haven't started on the Teeth&Claws chart yet, but I'll get there eventually.

(For some reason the new document about describing stuff got an error announcement when I tried to attach it... I'll see if I can attach it to a separat post.)
Attachments
Criticals WFRP 4ed Preface Clarifications and Mook Rules - kopia rev2.docx
(29.35 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Piercing - kopia rev2.docx
(34.94 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Cutting - kopia rev2.docx
(36.57 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Crushing - kopia rev2.docx
(35.46 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Bullet rev2.docx
(44.13 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Bolt n Arrow rev2.docx
(45.11 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Josef

Here's the new document about how a GM and his players can describe various results... second attempt to attach it.
Attachments
Criticals WFRP 4ed Wounds and Critical Wounds In Practice.docx
(12.52 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

New Crits from Josef added to the Downloads page and revised versions are all in place.
Josef

Great! I'm in the process of writing the Teeth & Claws chart, featuring such gems as the Go For The Eyes, Boo! result.
Josef

Nice! Now the Teeth & Claws chart is up among the Downloads! My next project will be the Shrapnel & Blunderbuss Ammunition chart, for crits caused by Bombs, Blunderbusses or anything else throwing hails of shot or other junk at you.

Say... there's something I wonder about? When I put a few of the preliminary charts up in this thread as attached documents there were surprisingly few cases of them being downloaded, as in less than half a dozen. Unlike 2E which had a forum at the publisher's own site my impression is that the 4E community is spread all over the place, mostly over at Facebook which seems to have a bewildering variety of WFRP groups for specific campaigns, GMing WFRP, etc, as well as more generic groups. Where does a prophet go now that his tablets... I mean charts!.. are approaching completion? I don't have much of an FB presence and don't plan to either, so I'm very reluctant to toot my own horn over there.