Species Skills (and Talents)

The enemy lurks in shadows
javafueled

On page 36, the following is presented:
Each Species has a variety of Skills and Talents to choose from. You may choose 3 Skills to gain 5 Advances each, and 3 Skills to gain 3 Advances each. If a Talent listing presents a choice, you select one Talent from the choices given. Any Random Talents are determined by the Random Talent table. If you roll a Talent you already have, you may reroll. Note: All Characters are assumed to be fluent in Reikspiel,, the language of the Empire, and do not need to take it as a Skill. For more on this, see page 124.
I'm mostly interested in the parsing of the first part, Skills. The Talents part I get.

For Human (Reiklander): there are 12 skills listed. Is this to be read as:
  1. Pick six (6) and advance three (3) +5 and three (3) +3, or
  2. Get all 12 and advance six (6) (as directed).
We've been debating this. I read it as 1) pick 6 and advance as directed and base that on the context clue regarding languages. All characters are assumed to be fluent in Reiklander. Why would I also be fluent in Bretonnian and Wastelander? Seems ... odd. Maybe that's my decades of WFRP 1e and 2e coming through.
--
"There are some who call me ... Tim."
"“This devil’s drink (coffee) is delicious. We should cheat the devil by baptizing it.” -- Pope Clement VIII (1536-1605)
Dooming: Thy end will be wrought by the sword of the virtuous
Hyarion

Maybe because you are a Merchant/Tradesman or are just well Travelled, and you know a bit about the language?
Maybe because you are a Reiklander, but one (both) of your parents were expatriots who had settled down in a new country?
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
javafueled

Hyarion wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:04 am Maybe because you are a Merchant/Tradesman or are just well Travelled, and you know a bit about the language?
Maybe because you are a Reiklander, but one (both) of your parents were expatriots who had settled down in a new country?
True, true. From the prespective of developing a character background.

No, this was more of a mechanical question about how to read the section in Character Generation. I also posted at RPG.SE and have the clarity I sought.
--
"There are some who call me ... Tim."
"“This devil’s drink (coffee) is delicious. We should cheat the devil by baptizing it.” -- Pope Clement VIII (1536-1605)
Dooming: Thy end will be wrought by the sword of the virtuous