Recruiting the Soulbound

We’re not in the Old World any more
HappyDaze

I've read over both the Soulbound Core and Champions of Order, and I'm still unsure of a few things regarding bindings of the Soulbound.

The first area that I'm curious about is: how are the Soulbound recruited? Champions of Order notes that the various gods (and a few other beings of great power) can perform the binding ritual, and gives a few reasons why bindings might be created. That's a good start, but how are the members of bindings selected? I don't imagine that the gods just look at the LinkedIn profiles of various heroes and get their recruiters on it...or do they? Do the peoples of the Mortal Realms make pilgrimages to the abodes of the gods hoping to be selected for bindings (and, if so, what happens to those that fail to make the cut), or do the gods specifically send out for those that they've already decided are the most qualified candidates?

Are there recruiting posters (Sigmar wants you!) posted all around the Free Cities? How populous are the Soulbound supposed to be? Some of the descriptions make it sound like the numbers are increasing.

The different gods have different approaches too. Sigmar seems to be the default, and Alarielle is buddies with him, so they likely work together at times. I read that Morathi picks Soulbound from her Daughters of Khaine as a way to rid herself of troublesome (but still potentially useful) elements, but does she send them to other gods for binding, or does she do it herself after (somehow) selecting others from outside her cult? Grungni is in hiding, and Malerion isn't all that easy to get an audience with, so I'm curious how they do their things. Even Teclis is a bit isolated from non-Lumineth.

Anyways, just a few rambling thoughts I've had recently.
Hyarion

All good questions, and I don't really know either. But if I had to make something up, I would say that when mortals die and go to Sigmar for judgement (let's say, substitute Alarielle, Grungni, Teclis, etc as needed), he picks some out and then imbues them with a spark of his essence 'binding' them and making them Soulbound.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
HappyDaze

Hyarion wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:29 am All good questions, and I don't really know either. But if I had to make something up, I would say that when mortals die and go to Sigmar for judgement (let's say, substitute Alarielle, Grungni, Teclis, etc as needed), he picks some out and then imbues them with a spark of his essence 'binding' them and making them Soulbound.
My impression was that only the living could become Soulbound (quite unlike Stormcast) and I'm sure that Nagash would have some issues with gods recruiting from the dead (as he does with the Stormcast, but that was hidden from him until the big reveal). Soulbound were around in the Age of Myth, and even Nagash participated in creating them.