The Enemy Within to come...

The enemy lurks in shadows
Capitaneus Fractus

Hi,

I am a former "erudite" and player of the Warhammer world (Fantasy Battle from the 4th edition to the 6th one and Fantasy Roleplay to the 1st and 2nd edition) who've stopped his interest approximatively ten years ago, hence forgot quasi all of this knowledge. Nostalgia lead me to seek a bit on Warhammer, some month ago, and I ended into Awesome Lies, where there is a lot of pleasant readings:
- https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... ctors-cut/
- https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... ors-cut-2/

It was a really good surprise to see that there was a planned fourth edition of Fantasy Roleplay. But the news that Graeme Davis was directing a new edition of The Enemy Within campaign, of six volumes of 160 pages, completed by one companion each was very much pleasant and make me want to go back again on it.

And even to find again my files and to continue this map I've started to make, back then, in order to keep the same travel spirit for the whole campaign: http://maitre.du.monde.free.fr/Jdr/Warh ... ikland.png

How much pages will be the companions volumes? Will it be like for Middenheim: City of Chaos (96 pages)? I suppose that this one will stay the companion of the Power Behind the Throne.
Do we know? Can we presume?

So, I go back a bit to Warhammer fora.
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.
Orin J.

we don't know, but andy law's method seems to be to 1:include everything they can at 2:pushing back the release date like a half-dozen times and cutting into the time they have to edit the finished material for quality. they're supposedly rewriting a fair amount of it, to boot.
mormegil

Plus, it seems that they will add more skaven into it.
Bungle

That map looks amazing. What is it, 5 miles to a hex?
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

There is also this recent tidbit, from an interview with Graeme:
Graeme Davis wrote:The plan is for the entire campaign to be published within the year 2019.

To which I say, best of luck. We haven't even seen the print edition of the Starter Set yet, nor the pdf of Rough Nights and Hard Days. I'd be happy to see the first part of the new Enemy Within before the end of 2019. All 10-12 volumes? Hopefully before 2021.
skerrigan

Half in 2019 and half in 2020 seems a massive leap in C7's output rate. It's a shame, as 2e had a massive output rate but low quality control as a whole, while the polar opposite seems to be true with C7. I want both. :D
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Capitaneus Fractus

Bungle wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:14 am That map looks amazing. What is it, 5 miles to a hex?
It is the exact same scale as the one from Shadow Over Bögenhafen and Death on the Reik. I don't have those books under my hand, so I can't check, but you might perhaps.

If I'm remembering correctly, I did it, in order to represent all travels in the Empire, for The Enemy Within, with the same spirit as those of Death on the Reik, provided you replace Something Rotten in Kislev with The Dying of the Light or with Terror in Talabheim, as all major cities of the Empire are set in this projection.

I should also have the gazetteer, with the number of inhabitants, the economical resources, the guard, few notes, and if I was a bit serious the source.

I'll try to found it, in my old computer. I should be able to check that this evening.
Last edited by Capitaneus Fractus on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.
Capitaneus Fractus

This was the Gazetteer: http://maitre.du.monde.free.fr/Jdr/Warh ... rtoire.htm
Alas, there was some "original work" (I did use the territory generator in WFRP1 rulebook to populate empty spaces as there was hardly any really precise map, official or fan made, for all part of this map, at that scale), and mention of sources aren't always clear to allow to always distinguish original work with sourced reference...
Bungle

The amount of work you've done is impressive. And yes, on checking it up, the scale is 5 miles to a hex. It's also going to prove quite useful, so thank you for sharing it.
Capitaneus Fractus

Thank you very much.
I'll try to work on it again to finish it...
Capitaneus Fractus

So...

On announced stuff:
Enemy in Shadows will include:
-"Mistaken Identity" (from The Enemy Within, WFRP1);
-the whole "Shadows over Bögenhafen" (from Shadows over Bögenhafen, WFRP1).

Enemy in Shadows Companion will include:
-"On the Road" (from White Dwarf #85, WFRP1), "The Affair of the Hidden Jewel" (from White Dwarf #101, WFRP1), "The Pandemonium Carnival" (from Apocryphia 2 : Charts of Darkness, WFRP1) and other short adventures and encounters (among whom might be "Night of Blood", from White Dwarf #87, WFRP1, albeit already released for free on Internet)...
-What I presume being "The Enemy Within", "A brief history of the Empire", "The Political Structure of the Empire", "Religion in the Empire", "Geography of the Empire", "Typical dresses of the Empire" and perhaps "Herbs and their Uses" (all from The Enemy Within, WFRP1);
-Road Life of the Empire (new stuff, perhaps inspired by fan-made "Tales of the Rover" from Liber Fanatica #3, WFRP2);
-What might be "Roadwardens" (from Shades of Empire, WFRP2).

Death on the Reik will include:
-a formal split between "Death on the Reik" and "The Wittgenstein Horror" (both from Death on the Reik, WFRP1);
-"River Life of the Empire" (from River Life of the Empire, WFRP1).

Death on the Reik Companion will include:
-"The Imperial Plenipotentiary" (from Death on the Reik, WFRP1)
-"The Maria Borgia" (from River Life of the Empire, WFRP1);
-stuff that I presume being "Freaks, Thieves and Travelling Folk", "Life and Death on the Reik", "Advanced Trade and Commerce" and "Perilous Beasts" (from The Companion, WFRP2);
-"Carrion up the Reik" (from Power Behind the Throne, WFRP1) and other adventures that run parallel to the Enemy Within, grouped under "The Vengeance of the Gravelord" side campaign (among whom there might be "Eureka" from White Dwarf #93, WFRP1 and "The Oldenhaller Contract" from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay : A grim world of perilous adventures, WFRP1 if the side campaign happen to lead adventurers to Nuln, in order to make the needed connection with the Oldenhaller familly)...
-stuff that I presume being "Puddlefoot’s Common Herbals" (from Apocryphia 2 : Charts of Darkness, WFRP1) and perhaps "Herbs and their Uses" (from The Enemy Within, WFRP1) if not included in Enemy in Shadows Companion;
-"The Emperor Luitpold" (from White Dwarf #122, WFRP1);
-Stuff that might be "The Semaphore Machines" (from The Enemy Within, WFRP1);
-Stuff on the Red Crown, perhaps took from "Minor Cult of Tzeentch" (from Tome of Corruption: Secrets from the Realm of Chaos, WFRP2).

On not yet announced stuff:
If Power Behind the Throne keep a two part scheme, I hope that its first part would be an updated and expanded "Pie-Eyed Piper" (from Warhammer City, WFRP1) and the second one "Power Behind the Throne" proper (from Power Behind the Throne, WFRP1), but I presume it can simply be formally split between the main stuff on influence, and the latter "Traitor Unmasked".

If so, I hope that the updated and expanded "Pie Eyed Piper" will be part of that Power Behind the Throne Companion, perhaps as a sequel to "The Vengeance of the Gravelord", with "Grapes of Wrath" (from White Dwarf #98, WFRP1) and perhaps "With a Little Help from my Friends" (from White Dwarf #105, WFRP1) and "Otto's Printworks" (from White Dwarf #96, WFRP1) that I presume included in this companion.
It seem that this companion will have to describe Middenland (perhaps simply by enhancing a bit "Middenland" from Sigmar's Heirs, WFRP2) rather than Middenheim. Perhaps because some of the side-campaign scenarii will be set in Middenland, contrary to "Power Behind the Throne", "The Pie Eyed Piper" and "Grapes of Wrath".
It probably mean that Warhammer City will have its own adaptation to WFRP4, outside the Enemy Within series, perhaps rather along a series that will include the announced sourcebook on Altdorf.

The Horned Rat will probably mostly include one or two new scenarii on a Skaven plot.
I have never read Terror in Talabheim: An Adventure in the Eye of the Forest, WFRP2, so I don't know if it could be related to the original Enemy Within design on The Horned Rat. But it would be preferable to get a specific adventure that start to tie links that were spin in previous adventures and kept, until now, loosely connected...

The Horned Rat Companion seem to have to describe Skavens. Hence, it might take things from Children of the Horned Rat: A Guide to Skaven, WFRP2. Perhaps that the side campaign will include "The Ritual" (from White Dwarf #99, WFRP1) if not included in previous volumes...

The Empire in Ruins might include one or two new scenarii largely inspired from The Empire in Flames, WFRP1, the remaining relics from the design of The Empire in Chaos and perhaps some aspects of fan-made Empire at War.

The Empire in Ruins Companion seem to have to describe Chaos. Hence, it might take some things related to Chaos in the Empire from Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, WFRP1, Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned, WFRP1 and perhaps some of the few new things introduced in Tome of Corruption: Secrets from the Realm of Chaos, WFRP2 which concern Chaos in the Empire.

"A Rough Night at the Three Feathers" (from White Dwarf #94, WFRP1) which used to be an "adventure for use with Death on the Reik" now got its own campaign within Rough Nights and Hard Days.
So we'll have two side campaigns for The Enemy Within: Rough Nights and Hard Days and the one which include "The Vengeance of the Gravelord"...
Last edited by Capitaneus Fractus on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 am, edited 19 times in total.
FasterThanJesus

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 am It probably mean that Warhammer City will have its own adaptation to WFRP4, outside the Enemy Within series, perhaps rather along a series that will include the announced sourcebook on Altdorf.
Has that been publicly announced?
Capitaneus Fractus

FasterThanJesus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:25 am Has that been publicly announced?
If you mean the Altdorf sourcebook, my sole source is https://altdorfer.blogspot.com/2019/02/ ... works.html which state that "Chatter in the Ratcatcher’s Guild has revealed that Cubicle 7 have started work on an Altdorf sourcebook! That is all we know, and it follows nicely from Andy Law’s call for help in compiling a list of Altdorf references in official works. So it will be very interesting to see where this goes! Other things talked about by C7 staff indicates that they are thinking about adopting the “it is un-mappable” stance, but I fully expect them to do some sort of spectacular overview map."
FasterThanJesus

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:38 am
FasterThanJesus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:25 am Has that been publicly announced?
If you mean the Altdorf sourcebook, my sole source is https://altdorfer.blogspot.com/2019/02/ ... works.html which state that "Chatter in the Ratcatcher’s Guild has revealed that Cubicle 7 have started work on an Altdorf sourcebook! That is all we know, and it follows nicely from Andy Law’s call for help in compiling a list of Altdorf references in official works. So it will be very interesting to see where this goes! Other things talked about by C7 staff indicates that they are thinking about adopting the “it is un-mappable” stance, but I fully expect them to do some sort of spectacular overview map."
If the gossip is already flying, I may as well confirm it then. Two privately announced sourcebooks were mentioned (with no detail) in the dev diary for TEW. The other has been guessed by a few people on here already: City of the White Wolf.
Capitaneus Fractus

I wasn't aware of it. It strengthen my feelings. Thank you very much.

There was a clear connection between Warhammer City and Power Behind the Throne. Would this sourcebook be a sourcebook on Middenheim that the (needed) connection would stay... Which is a good thing in my humble opinion.

I wonder if the announced sourcebook on Altdorf will be linked to another adventure (such as an independent adventure or one adventure set within The Empire in Ruins) or if it will be a sourcebook independent from any published scenario (which was the case of a lot of WFRP2 sourcebook, which, in my opinion, wasn't a good idea as it did lead to a lot of not so interesting padding...)
FasterThanJesus

I also find it strange that the Companion covers Middenland and a separate source book will contain Middenheim. I wonder if they've suffered a bad case of feature creep.
Gideon

FasterThanJesus wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:04 am I also find it strange that the Companion covers Middenland and a separate source book will contain Middenheim. I wonder if they've suffered a bad case of feature creep.
Personally I think separate city books is a good idea. There didn't seem to be much room to expand the original Power Behind the Throne and Warhammer City in the original target page count for TEW:DR, and both (especially the former) would benefit from expansion.

An Altdorf guide is long overdue and, given how often the PCs pass through it, pretty useful for TEW.
FasterThanJesus

Gideon wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:43 am
Personally I think separate city books is a good idea. There didn't seem to be much room to expand the original Power Behind the Throne and Warhammer City in the original target page count for TEW:DR, and both (especially the former) would benefit from expansion.

An Altdorf guide is long overdue and, given how often the PCs pass through it, pretty useful for TEW.
Discussion on this has become a little fragmented.

I think you're right in terms of content, City of Chaos + Power Behind the Throne would pretty much fill the 128 + 96 pages available (I think you had a more detailed calculation on your blog). My automatic assumption, and I think at least a few others on this forum, was that the compaion for PBtT would be Warhammer City, as they have a somewhat hand in glove fit. Now there is suggestion of the parallel campaign and some hints as to expansion of the original PBtT. Added to this, the Dev Diary specifies Middenland as the focus of the companion not Middenland. It obviously just doesn't all fit.

I agree on Altdorf, it's pretty much always relavent.
FasterThanJesus

FYI: Chaos Cards has Enemy in Shadows collector's edition available for pre-order at a 27% reduction.

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/roleplayin ... en-p183186 (yes, that's the right URL)

That dev diary is looking like good value.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

FasterThanJesus wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:07 am FYI: Chaos Cards has Enemy in Shadows collector's edition available for pre-order at a 27% reduction.

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/roleplayin ... en-p183186 (yes, that's the right URL)

That dev diary is looking like good value.
I don't think it comes with the PDF or developer's diary. I asked Chaos Cards and Cubicle 7 about this some time ago in relation to another WFRP 4th edition product and apparently Chaos Cards is not signed up to the 'Bricks & Mortar' scheme, and it doesn't seem as though they are going to sign up to it any time soon either.