The two views of Bretonnia

For general discussions about WFRP
Iltherion

I understand that there has been some tension regarding Bretonnia as described in the 1st edition of WFRP and as described in subsequent editions. My understanding is that while not much was said about Bretonnia in 1e, it was reminiscent of 18th-century France.

Subsequent editions, of course, incorporated the "Arthurian" themes from the 5th and following editions of WFB.

Has any attempt been made to reconcile the two ideas? I should think that there is plenty of room in Bretonnia for both.

To me, the Arthurian themes make sense in light of Bretonnia's proximity to Athel Loren, and the lack of a natural barrier between the two (unlike the rest of Bretonnia's neighbors, bordered by mountains to the northeast and the south). Of course the Wood Elves are not very closely related to the High Elves, but they probably haven't completely forgotten their equivalents to King Arthur (Aenarion the Defender), Merlin (Caledor Dragontamer), Excalibur (the Sword of Khaine), Morgan le Fay (Morathi), and Mordred (Malekith) either.

However, that makes more sense for the eastern provinces, closer to Athel Loren. The coastal regions would probably engage in more commerce with the Empire and Marienburg, and perhaps those regions would have more Imperial than elven influence. That might give the western provinces something closer to the French Revolution than to King Arthur.

Does it make sense to play Bretonnia this way, more 18-century near the sea to the west and more Arthurian near the forest to the east?
Zisse

I am no expert on Bretonia, but the tension between the two ways could lead to interesting scenarios.
You might have children of Arthurian nobles that aren't allowed to go to the Versailles like court in the capital. They could do any mischief.
Another thing might be agitators for a revolution that try to agitate a village in the eastern country side....
Theo

There have been some various stabs at this from various fans, though I don't think much has been publicized.

My own version of Bretonnia (which my PCs are currently adventuring in) has some elements of both. In general, it's Renaissance in feel and most of Bretonnia is - very loosely - based on late 16th-century France with some earlier and later elements. Most of the formerly semi-independent feudal duchies have over the centuries been absorbed into the royal domain, but regional governors still wield a lot of power. The main exception is the southeastern duchy of Louenne/Quenelles, which remains feudal and independent (and late-medieval in stylings), partly due to its alliance with the black-eyed Fae of the hellforest of Loren. Here, the weird heretical grail cult, mostly extinct in "modern" Bretonnia (although Notre Dame du Lac, Our Lady of the Lake, is still identified with Bretonnia's patron saint) is still strong.

Still working on that. :)
hallucyon

Theo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:15 pm There have been some various stabs at this from various fans, though I don't think much has been publicized.
There is "The Corrupt Kingdom of Bretonnia", an excellent fan sourcebook for the first-edition WFRP. As it was published in early days of the Internet era, it was released in increments, so you need to download a bunch of small PDF files.
Theo

hallucyon wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:25 am
Theo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:15 pm There have been some various stabs at this from various fans, though I don't think much has been publicized.
There is "The Corrupt Kingdom of Bretonnia", an excellent fan sourcebook for the first-edition WFRP. As it was published in early days of the Internet era, it was released in increments, so you need to download a bunch of small PDF files.
I know. I meant specifically work combining elements of that late-Renaissance vision of Bretonnia with elements of the medieval-style Bretonnia of later Warhammer.
Orin J.

i've honestly never had any trouble with combining the two. the "noble bretonnia" and the "corrupt bretonnia" fold together very nicely once you look at where they come from. Yhe noble bretonnia is the domain of chivalry, young, idealistic knights test themselves to prove their honor to the lady, eventually rise up to the privlidge of the grail, and take their place among the highest authorities in the land, experts in matters relating to warfare and noble honor who wed equally idealistic ladies who seek the romantic life of a lady in waiting. The corrupt bretonnia is the domain of nobles that fail or grow up too weak of frame or character to be accepted into knighthood, trapped languishing in the position of land-holder, abusing the laws held over the peasentry to indulge in noble vices like drink, debauchery, and good ol' cruelty towards the unfortunate. they wed some jaded, disaffected noblewoman and raise their kids to the ideals of chivalry out of both the self-serving hope their son will become a knight that brings fame (and riches) home and the sense of nobility that protects their position.

With the knights focused on matters of war and peace-keeping and the debached handling matters of taxation and land rights, neither really suffers the other's contempt or direct awareness. they're probably very congenial in their interactions normally. y'know, until some wandering go-gooders stumble into the duchy and throw the whole matter at the feet of the grail knights.