New 4e Crits from Josef Tham

The enemy lurks in shadows
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Reddit might be a good place to try: https://www.reddit.com/r/warhammerfantasyrpg/
FasterThanJesus

Also discord groups. Forums aren't quite what they were.
Josef

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a currently a bit busy with other things, having mostly tweaked and polished the other charts and documents rather than making progress on the Shrapnel chart but I'll get there. I'm reasonably certain word will leak to other forums and groups sooner or later. Right now, I don't feel like spreading it outside WoC until everything is fully ready, not that I'm too keen on creating further accounts anywhere else anyway.
Josef

The Shrapnel chart is slow going, as it's composed of another 80 different results, with me trying to avoid repeating results from the previous charts and creating descriptions unique to the type of injury while still being at least moderately entertaining. I'm dredging up interesting wounds from movies, books and other sources as inspiration, which is why you'll find the occasional Monthy Python reference... for the Shrapnel chart I even managed to tuck in a Shakespeare quote!

All the previous charts and documents will have received some modifications, so be warned that you'll need to re-upload them once I've sent in the new set after I'm done with the Shrapnel chart. Hopefully that'll be my last update and final chart, as I'm not planning on doing any 4E versions of my old 2E Fire & Energy or Large Monsters charts.
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Josef

Oooooh, praise! Gimme! But credit where credit is due, you started it all and inspired me with your original charts. Heck, I am still plundering them for inspiration!
Silke

Love this thank you Josef :)
Josef

Happy Halloween! Here's my last new chart, the Shrapnel & Shot for those iconic Blunderbusses!

Do note that all the other charts and documents have also been updated and modified, some more than others. I'll include them as my original Word documents in this post, for those of you who don't want to wait for them to appear in the Downloads section as PDFs.
Attachments
Criticals WFRP 4ed Piercing - kopia rev3.docx
(35.66 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Cutting - kopia rev3.docx
(36.93 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Crushing - kopia rev3.docx
(35.81 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Bullet rev3.docx
(44.78 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Bolt n Arrow rev3.docx
(45.93 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Josef

And the last ones...
Attachments
Criticals WFRP 4ed Wounds and Critical Wounds In Practice rev3.docx
(13 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Teeth & Claws rev3.docx
(36.71 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Shrapnel & Shot.docx
(42.61 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Preface Clarifications and Mook Rules - kopia rev3.docx
(32.55 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Downloads page is updated and current. Thanks Josef!
Josef

I added the Shrapnel & Shot chart because the Blunderbuss is such an iconic weapon... you may end up getting a Sling chart as well, because I'm not quite happy using the Crushing or Bullet charts, and the sling is the weapon of the iconic Rat Catcher!
Josef

Heh... I've gotten a good start on the Sling chart but I don't mind telling you that coming up with amputation-equivalent and lethal results for sling bullet hits on limbs isn't exactly the easiest thing I've done. My description for the top result on the Arm Location includes the character's surprise at such a turn of events. ("Didn't see that one coming, did ya?")
Josef

My description for the top Sling chart result on the Leg Location starts "What follows is a series of unlikely events unfolding..." (I'll give you a hint; it involves a fatty embolus.)
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

What I like most about your critical charts is their personality, and it sounds like the Sling chart will have the most personality of all.

Side note: the first time I heard about a fatty embolus was way back in high school while reading "A Separate Peace." Somebody mentioned how unlikely it was for someone to die of a broken leg, and my teacher was like, "Yeah but there's this thing called a fat embolus ..."
Josef

Good grief... I'm only one result from finishing the Sling chart and can feel the creativity fatigue setting in!

It's the Leg Location 94-96 (116-120 for the Up In Arms die roll column) that is still missing, that includes losing an extra 5 Wounds. It pretty much requires loss of function in the limb. The results on either side of 94-96 are a lost function in the foot result (91-93, a shattered midfoot with accompanying nerve damage) and a lost function in the lower leg result requiring amputation or gangrene will set in (97-99, bone shards tearing the leg up as the character collapses after the tibia breaks followed by the fibula also breaking as the character's full weight comes down on it).

If anyone has a neat suggestion I'd love to hear it. This is your chance to earn eternal fame, getting a result of your very own included in these charts! The result, even if stretching things a bit, must be one that can reasonably be caused by a stone bullet. A sling Lead Bullet could probably penetrate deep enough to mess up a major nerve with ensuing paralysis, but the result will have to work for Stone Bullet ammunition as well, even the brilliantly named Pebble from the Up In Arms supplement!
Josef

S'okay, guys! I came up with an interesting delayed Time Bomb kind of result... I'll just check the chart an extra time or two for spelling, grammar, etc, and then it'll be finished.
Josef

Ok, here it is, full of personality... or at least very wordy! The last and final chart, the Sling chart, as well as a revision of the Preface and Clarifications document which now incorporates mention of that chart as well as some ideas on how to go about amputating a limb when there are no surgeons around...
Attachments
Criticals WFRP 4ed Sling.docx
(44.63 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Criticals WFRP 4ed Preface Clarifications and Mook Rules - kopia rev4.docx
(33.55 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Josef

Well, that's pretty much it. Like I say in the Preface and Clarifications document I don't plan to make a 4E version of the old 2E Flame & Energy chart, or the Unarmed chart, nor do I intend to write any charts for crits on creatures and Large Monsters (like the 2E Large Monster, Quadruped and Winged charts), mostly because the 4E Bestiary rules seem to be very different and I have no handle whatsoever on how (or if) the Rule Book take is modified by any of the published supplements (the only book I have apart from the Rule Book is the Up In Arms supplement). In my old 2E Large Monster chart the whole point was that you had to literally dismantle a Large Monster piece by piece, removing its extra attacks or otherwise slowly whittling its capabilities down before you could achieve a killing blow. A hit that would cripple a human, elf, halfling or dwarf would be something that most large monstrous creatures would shrug off, so using the ordinary charts with results having a huge scary critter incapacitated by a broken nose or getting knocked down by a hit to its toe just didn't feel appropriate.

I'm copy-pasting my comment from the 2E Large Monster charts below to make my intentions with that chart clear:
"Additional points regarding the Large Monster Chart:
This chart makes it very hard to kill off Large Monsters. This is intentional. My other charts are intended mainly for humans with all their frailties,
not a huge nasty monster where you can hack off bits and pieces without the monster really noticing until it either keels over or runs out of limbs to
attack with. This particular chart is for GMs who don’t like to see their scary Minotaur receive one measly crit from a lucky PC, becoming so incapacitated from it that the rest of the fight looks more like a Japanese chef doing things to a helpless sushi fish. Like the Wing and Quadruped Leg
damage charts, it is rather generic in nature with regard to the type of attack causing the injury, so the GM must be prepared to fudge the results a
little if the monster was fried by a fireball rather than hit with a sword or arrow. The charts are also less detailed in regard to the nature and long-term
effects of injury, representing the uncertainties of monster anatomy and a large monster’s unnatural resilience and imperviousness to pain as well as
the fact that monsters rarely have access to advanced medical care."

I think achieving something similar would be difficult in 4E, with monsters perhaps benefitting more from limiting things like outnumbering bonuses and Advantage to make up for their often rather mediocre WS against a group of characters. That said, I'm still new to 4E and that as a player rather than as the GM I was back in the old 2E days, so I haven't really had a chance to gain a feel for combat against big monsters yet.

BTW, please note that the charts I have added as attachments to this thread have often been modified since the start of the thread. The charts and documents currently in the Downloads section are the latest versions, so if you downloaded anything before today you'd better check an extra time that you have the latest version.
Josef

After checking the Rule Book once again I have found that you actually can cause a crit with magic missile-type spells, if rolling a Critical Cast. So not just from pushing the target below 0 Wounds!

I guess a 4E Flame & Energy chart will be appearing... plus of course a rewrite of the Preface and Clarifications document to correct my assumptions about magic and crits.
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Yes more crits! Keep them coming