Balance between mosters and pcs

The enemy lurks in shadows

Hi all

I have recently bought WFRP 4 and I am wondering a bit about the balance between pcs and monster. So I have a few questions for those of you that have been playing for a while.
A starting human warrior has around 55 in WS a Stormvermin 45, Orc 35 and Chaos warrior 55. So are player characters just meant to be really powerful or how does it balance, especially considering pcs have melee(basic) in addition and the monsters do not?

I would assume that a regular empire soldier (Soldier career lvl 2) would have around 60+ in ws and 10+ in melee(basic) how does that look in the advantures you can buy, are pcs just that much stronger?
Hyarion

A soldier may have a WS that high, but the merchant, priest, boatman, scholar, herbalist, or outlaw adventuring companions? No, they probably won't.

Otherwise, I'd just say that balancing encounters is part of the skill and craft of being a GM. Up to and including keeping that balance going as advantage snowballs up.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.

Thx for answering Hyarion.

Im trying to see how things are balanced (or not) rules-wise compared to how I perceive monsters etc.
So with no modifications to an orc is much weaker than an Imperial soldier, even a level 1
A Rat Ogre would have a hard time against two soldiers (bonus for outnumbering and much higher ws and melee skill, would give them +40 compared to the Rat Ogre) and would probably never get to use its tail attack. Even two recruits would be a hard time

In my mind an orc should be at least as dangerous as a solder and a Rat Ogre should be a threat to a few soldiers. So I'll just have to add melee skill to those and modify outnumbering against larger foes. (I have this idea that outnumbering against larger foes are modified, but I cant finde the place in the rulebook...)
macd21

Default wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:28 am Hi all

I have recently bought WFRP 4 and I am wondering a bit about the balance between pcs and monster. So I have a few questions for those of you that have been playing for a while.
A starting human warrior has around 55 in WS a Stormvermin 45, Orc 35 and Chaos warrior 55. So are player characters just meant to be really powerful or how does it balance, especially considering pcs have melee(basic) in addition and the monsters do not?

I awould assume that a regular empire soldier (Soldier career lvl 2) would have around 60+ in ws and 10+ in melee(basic) how does that look in the advantures you can buy, are pcs just that much stronger?
The Orc’s WS 35 is for a baseline orc, ie one that has no advances, no experience. If I was making a typical Orc Warrior I’d add 10 to WS and Melee (Basic), probably S it T and a few other attributes and skills, plus probably a few talents.

Ok, so the description of the creatures characteristics are baselines for use.

It would have been nice with some examples of use from the developers.

Thx for the answer
Dim_shadow

I made an greenskin career if you'd like to see how that balances with a soldier. It's in the fan-made section. I also have a greenskin waaagh shaman.... but I have yet to upload it here.

-Dim