The Red King

For general discussions about WFRP
EstebanMontoya

Hi,

recently me and my 4th edition party we stumbled upon a so-called Red King and a ballad wrote on him and the battle between Taal and Ulrich against Chaos Gods.

Anyone knows who or what is this Red King?

Thanks
Orin J.

while there is an old story of taal and ulric fighting the chaos gods (and most of the other gods helping to various degrees, i'm not sure who this "red king" is. maybe your GM's alluding to khaine's human cult?
EstebanMontoya

Orin J. wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:49 pm while there is an old story of taal and ulric fighting the chaos gods (and most of the other gods helping to various degrees, i'm not sure who this "red king" is. maybe your GM's alluding to khaine's human cult?
Yeah, i think so. We found the name in the lyrics of a ballad...i try to translate this because the original text Is in italian (i'm italian)

"At the time when the two brothers, the wolf and the deer tore the earth to divide men, it was then that the king in red rose among them. He claimed no throne, and for his crown he had only the red glow of twilight.
As a scepter he brandished the white snake that heals all.
Its light made the Ferocious roar and they sank fangs and horns. The king in red was locked behind the door.
But his victory was as long as it will be again. The brothers, tired from the fight, stopped the quarrel: the wolf retreated on the lonely column that points to the sky, the deer hid its presence in the dragon's eye.
And men were finally free."

This Is the text, ad i'm sure Is from a manual
Orin J.

well it's not khaine... the only ideas i have is that it's 1: probably from some other fiction he's jamming in for the story or 2: a play on the king in yellow. maybe sneak a peek at what he's been reading recently, get an idea what he's aiming for.

also i'm betting there's some "clever" turn of phrase that's getting lost in translation your GM is playing on to justify the plot working, so your best bet is finding some italian gaming group willing to help. there's a small chance it's from some fan-made adventure that didn't get translated to english.
Hyarion

I don't speak italian, but it certainly doesn't sound like anything I've read in any official book (at least not verbatim). I would share Orin J's guess that there's a clever turn of phrase that's not coming through the translation (Red Rose?) or it could be a homebrew campaign clue.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Orin J.

the "White snake" line stands out. i've heard something like it somewhere before but hell if i remember where.
Rangdo

Can you give us the text in Italian?
Hyarion

Orin J. wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:03 pm the "White snake" line stands out. i've heard something like it somewhere before but hell if i remember where.
In the famous words of Father Wilhelm Abgott, "So come the midnight hour, we cry MORR! MORR! MORR!" (WFRP 4e Core book, Page 58).

To which we now add David Tal Bedecken, Bawd and Entertainer, "I know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams. Here I go again on my own."
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.