Questions on this game

We’re not in the Old World any more
Knight of the Lady

I have a few questions. I'm looking for something to run and among the alternatives I have is Soulbound.But I know about nothing about it and so decided to come here with some questions for someone of learning regarding this game, some of which don't get answered in the normal reviews of the game.

1. What system does it use?

2. Potential for crossover element into the setting?

3. How heroic, in scope, is the game, and can that be scaled down somewhat?

4. Is there a balance problem with banning Stormcast Eternals?

5. How much potential for customizing the setting by the GM is there?

More questiions may follow.
Orin J.

i'll dredge out the book and give my best explination, but take the advice of anyone that posts from actually playing it over me-

1:it uses pretty much the same general system their 40k game uses, get a pile of dice, roll against the number, pass the given amount to succeed. like always it's set up in a confusing arrangment but easy to learn once you figure out a good way of recalling the system

2: ehhhh.....ruleswise everything is *waves hands* enough that you can shoehorn whatever you want in, setting wise you can put anything in, but it suddenl;y becomes subject to the setting's incredibly encroaching magic system. if you can wedge you idea's system into it (or shove the winds of magic around hard enough) you could get most things to work but if your group has anyone that like to argue minutae to get their way i wouldn't try it.

3: every character is a hero vital to the world's safety, and the game mechanics are balanced with that in mind. you'd need to build a whole other system to get closer to the "mud&blood" style WFRP is used to. looking at it trying would just make the gameplay needlessly hostile for basic actions.

4: no, but that's because they're not super powerful overall compared to the other heros.

5: everything is in such a broad stroke and defined by the skirmish game, i'm not sure how to answer this. on the one hand you can detail all sorts of things inside of those loose lines, on the other hand, you're gonna find that events requires you to erase everything you detailed because those lines were broadly moved to pretend that something important happened with the latest release.
Knight of the Lady

Thanks for shedding some light on this for me.
Orin J. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:01 pm 1:it uses pretty much the same general system their 40k game uses, get a pile of dice, roll against the number, pass the given amount to succeed. like always it's set up in a confusing arrangment but easy to learn once you figure out a good way of recalling the system
I like the sound of that. I've had good experience with the 40k RPGs and Only War is right now the top contender for what I would run in the future. Maybe Soulbound will replace it as I'm more of a fantasy guy over a sci-fi guy?
Orin J. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:01 pm 2: ehhhh.....ruleswise everything is *waves hands* enough that you can shoehorn whatever you want in, setting wise you can put anything in, but it suddenl;y becomes subject to the setting's incredibly encroaching magic system. if you can wedge you idea's system into it (or shove the winds of magic around hard enough) you could get most things to work but if your group has anyone that like to argue minutae to get their way i wouldn't try it.
That sounds promesing. I've successfully added elements from Star Wars, Warhammer Fantasy and Tékumel in 40k. Yes, there was some work to get it 40k-ish but in the end it kind of worked out pretty well.
Orin J. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:01 pm 3: every character is a hero vital to the world's safety, and the game mechanics are balanced with that in mind. you'd need to build a whole other system to get closer to the "mud&blood" style WFRP is used to. looking at it trying would just make the gameplay needlessly hostile for basic actions.
Ok, this is a little of a speed bump for me but maybe I should give this style a chance?
Orin J. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:01 pm 4: no, but that's because they're not super powerful overall compared to the other heros.
Sounds good. I haven't talked extensively on the subject but I've got the feeling that my group would rather play Deathwatch with the OG Space Marines than with Stormcast Eternal knock-offs (Maybe my attitude will change if I decide to pursue the Age of Sigmar more, but that's how I feel about them right now).
Orin J. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:01 pm 5: everything is in such a broad stroke and defined by the skirmish game, i'm not sure how to answer this. on the one hand you can detail all sorts of things inside of those loose lines, on the other hand, you're gonna find that events requires you to erase everything you detailed because those lines were broadly moved to pretend that something important happened with the latest release.
It kind of what I was hoping for. World building is a good past time in my eyes and so I won't mind getting elements to work, or cut them out, as the situation dictates.

I was a bit more worried that the the maps would be so detailed and officially described that there wouldn't be much space for inserting new elements into the setting. I like crossovers but I don't want to mess with official lore to much or usurp the main roles in the setting and lore with new stuff. To summerize I prefer my crossover in the cracks and corners of the setting rather than overtaking the setting with them.
Orin J.

Knight of the Lady wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 am I was a bit more worried that the the maps would be so detailed and officially described that there wouldn't be much space for inserting new elements into the setting. I like crossovers but I don't want to mess with official lore to much or usurp the main roles in the setting and lore with new stuff. To summerize I prefer my crossover in the cracks and corners of the setting rather than overtaking the setting with them.
i assure you, any concerns you have over the setting beng overly detailed are wasted. if anything your concerns shuld be that there isn't enough structure there to hold your tweeks without building around them.
Knight of the Lady

Orin J. wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:49 pm
Knight of the Lady wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 am I was a bit more worried that the the maps would be so detailed and officially described that there wouldn't be much space for inserting new elements into the setting. I like crossovers but I don't want to mess with official lore to much or usurp the main roles in the setting and lore with new stuff. To summerize I prefer my crossover in the cracks and corners of the setting rather than overtaking the setting with them.
i assure you, any concerns you have over the setting beng overly detailed are wasted. if anything your concerns shuld be that there isn't enough structure there to hold your tweeks without building around them.
Hmm. Thanks for the info. I'll look into this a bit more and see if Age of Sigmar is something that would work for me, and my group, or not.