Shrines of Sigmar

For general discussions about WFRP
dry_erase

A little more embarassing promotion... today C7 published my second thing for them, "Shrines of Sigmar".

It a set of 5 shrines which all conceal some sort of secret - the same premise as my "Monuments of the Reikland" but with more:
  • prayers that go horribly wrong
  • stylites
  • miraculous fingernails
  • ...and shameless pandering to the millions of WFRP fans begging for a callback to a forgotten article from a 31 year old issue of White Dwarf
If you buy, I hope you like it.
FasterThanJesus

Ah cool. I'll pick it up later. This has been a good couple of months!
Karanthir

Just picked this up and found it a very interesting read.

Is there any way of submitting errata for it? I found a couple of (very, very) minor errors, but I can't find it on the list of publications in the errata submission form.
dry_erase

Karanthir wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:32 am Just picked this up and found it a very interesting read.

Is there any way of submitting errata for it? I found a couple of (very, very) minor errors, but I can't find it on the list of publications in the errata submission form.
I'm glad you found it interesting! No idea about errata, but I can ask.
Karanthir

dry_erase wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:39 am I'm glad you found it interesting! No idea about errata, but I can ask.
That would be great. Like I said, they're only minor things, but it would be a shame for them to slip through.
dry_erase

Karanthir wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:22 am
dry_erase wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:39 am I'm glad you found it interesting! No idea about errata, but I can ask.
That would be great. Like I said, they're only minor things, but it would be a shame for them to slip through.
I've been advised that your best bet is to email info@cubicle7games.com with the errata details. Thanks!
Visitor Q

I've finished reading Shrines of Sigmar. Not sure if this needs spoilers or not but just in case....
Spoiler

First, brass tacks. I thought this was excellent as a short source book.

The Shrines are different and unusual enough that they would be worth including merely to add flavour to a location if nothing else. It is worth noting that although the focus was on Sigmar, the dedication of the Shrines could easily be changed to a different god if that suited the game. Equally the location in most cases could be moved to a different part of the Empire. In fact on that point I am likely to use a version of the Sumpftor Shrine in Marienburg but change it to Mannan and Stromfels respectively.

The prayer tables are a nice touch and I liked that each was unique to the individual Shrine.

The Secrets were engaging and covered high and low fantasy themes, classic Imperial political/secterian tensions, and simple WFRP shennanigans. Something for everyone.

Worth the price of admission?
Yes. For the price it is worth buying. I think with only a little bit of prep ahead of time there is plenty of material to create a couple of off the shelf one-session episodes. These can be used on the evenings you want to run an encounter that can slot into a pre-exisiting campaign. Alternatively there's also enough inspiration from a couple of the Shrines to create several sessions worth of material or even a jump off for a campaign.

Would I use in actual game play?
Yes! Along with the Sumpftor Shrine adaption mentioend above I will very likely use the Uathach Shrine as written (though change location). I really liked the secret. Very simple but effective. The payoff has a shameless Conan Sword and Sorcery vibe to it (which I love btw).

On the other end of the spectrum the Hammer's Stand is very grounded in human desires and motivations and has a lot of potential for drama and humour. This will also likely feature in a game as well at some point.

Any downsides?

The adventure seeds in the sidebar were fine though most were a little generic. I suspect the Shrine descriptions combined with the Secrets and 'main story' would be enough to inspire most GMs if they wanted to use the Shrine. So maybe something more unusual for the Adventure Seeds would be appreciated. That said this might just be me being picky.

For me the Abandoned Shrine of Lowengen was a bit of a dud. I wasn't getting much in the way of dramatic tension. That said at a pinch I would be tempted to change the Shrine to the worship of Taal and make the Secret a feature. (And giving the stats for a Dryad has utility by itself)

As mentioned in the thread above there were a couple of typos.

Final thoughts
I don't want to end on the negatives though so just to reiterate I really enjoyed the source book, glad I spent my money on it and crucially it will see the game table I am sure!
Last edited by Visitor Q on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karanthir

dry_erase wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:15 pm I've been advised that your best bet is to email info@cubicle7games.com with the errata details. Thanks!
Perfect, will do!
FasterThanJesus

Sorry, I've not got around to reading this yet, mostly due to all the other things that came out around the same time.

Cubicle 7 do have an errata page now: https://www.cubicle7games.com/our-games ... ubmission/. It's actually pretty useful and a lof my submissions on TEW have been followed up.

This does not include Shrines of Sigmar for some reason. Pretty much everything else is on there, include Monuments of the Empire, so I'm guessing this is an oversight. You may want to mention this, dry_erase.
dry_erase

Visitor Q wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:25 pm I've finished reading Shrines of Sigmar. Not sure if this needs spoilers or not but just in case....
Spoiler

First, brass tacks. I thought this was excellent as a short source book.

The Shrines are different and unusual enough that they would be worth including merely to add flavour to a location if nothing else. It is worth noting that although the focus was on Sigmar, the dedication of the Shrines could easily be changed to a different god if that suited the game. Equally the location in most cases could be moved to a different part of the Empire. In fact on that point I am likely to use a version of the Sumpftor Shrine in Marienburg but change it to Mannan and Stromfels respectively.

The prayer tables are a nice touch and I liked that each was unique to the individual Shrine.

The Secrets were engaging and covered high and low fantasy themes, classic Imperial political/secterian tensions, and simple WFRP shennanigans. Something for everyone.

Worth the price of admission?
Yes. For the price it is worth buying. I think with only a little bit of prep ahead of time there is plenty of material to create a couple of off the shelf one-session episodes. These can be used on the evenings you want to run an encounter that can slot into a pre-exisiting campaign. Alternatively there's also enough inspiration from a couple of the Shrines to create several sessions worth of material or even a jump off for a campaign.

Would I use in actual game play?
Yes! Along with the Sumpftor Shrine adaption mentioend above I will very likely use the Uathach Shrine as written (though change location). I really liked the secret. Very simple but effective. The payoff has a shameless Conan Sword and Sorcery vibe to it (which I love btw).

On the other end of the spectrum the Hammer's Stand is very grounded in human desires and motivations and has a lot of potential for drama and humour. This will also likely feature in a game as well at some point.

Any downsides?

The adventure seeds in the sidebar were fine though most were a little generic. I suspect the Shrine descriptions combined with the Secrets and 'main story' would be enough to inspire most GMs if they wanted to use the Shrine. So maybe something more unusual for the Adventure Seeds would be appreciated. That said this might just be me being picky.

For me the Abandoned Shrine of Lowengen was a bit of a dud. I wasn't getting much in the way of dramatic tension. That said at a pinch I would be tempted to change the Shrine to the worship of Taal and make the Secret a feature. (And giving the stats for a Dryad has utility by itself)

As mentioned in the thread above there were a couple of typos.

Final thoughts
I don't want to end on the negatives though so just to reiterate I really enjoyed the source book, glad I spent my money on it and crucially it will see the game table I am sure!
That's a great review - thank you.
Karanthir

Emailed C7 with the errors I spotted last week, and Shrines of Sigmar has now been added to the errata form (although it's not on the list of documents included in the errata form).