Archives of the Empire: Free Territory of Frugelhorn

The enemy lurks in shadows
HappyDaze

I'm finally getting around to reading Archives of the Empire in detail, and here I discovered the Free Territory of Frugelhorn. The limited information in AotE is the only thing I recall ever reading about this Imperial/Bretonnian/Karak A. "neutral zone." Is it detailed any further in other WFRP products (regardless of edition)?
Wolf

Isn’t that from Terror of the Lichemaster?

It got a WFRP repackaging in the Flame days, I think, too.
dry_erase

Wolf wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:30 pm Isn’t that from Terror of the Lichemaster?

It got a WFRP repackaging in the Flame days, I think, too.
Yes - I wrote a reply to this yesterday, but it seems to have been gobbled up by the internet. It's where the events of 'Lichemaster' occur, the 1st edition adventure published in 1989. That was based on the WFB scenarios 'Terror of the Lichemaster'.

There's a useful primer here on Gideon's blog: https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... chemaster/

I've flicked through it today as a reminder and there's very little on the political situation in there - it's mostly interesting as a setting for the mischiefs of Heinrich Kemmler.
Zisse

Just speculating: if the horned rat leads TEW into the Grey Mountains, lichemaster might be a suitable interlude.
FasterThanJesus

Zisse wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:11 am Just speculating: if the horned rat leads TEW into the Grey Mountains, lichemaster might be a suitable interlude.
I think it's set in the Middle Mountains not Grey Mountains.
skyperbole

Most notably, for WFRP, there was a whole 1E rpg module called Lichemaster (inspired by Terror of the Lichemaster above). I'm planning on running that, with stats converted to 4E, pretty soon. There are some scattered mentions of Frugelhofen in some of the books. I believe there's some mention of it in the Reikland section. Also, in the Starter Set, there's a pretty good look at the region in one of the map handouts--better than the official Reikland map, in fact.

Unfortunately, Lichemaster isn't one of the old modules that C7 has scanned for purchase. However...ahem...I'm sure you can find it on websites of dubious reputation.
Wyrmslayer

Some time in the 90's Frugelhofen was revisited in White Dwarf. Nothing to be excited by though. It was background for a battle report for whatever incarnation of the newest undead book came out at the time. Nothing other than the location, Kemmler and possibly Krell made a return. There was a new leader of La Maisontaal. A female priest that had some spells from the green and brown winds (life and beasts).
Zisse

I own a copy of the original RPG book. Found it when FLGS sight seeing on a business trip.
The story is okay, if you like battles as part of an RPG session.
HappyDaze

So, is it basically just a tiny Warhammer-ized Switzerland with a blend of Imperials, Bretonnians, and Karak Dwarfs?
skyperbole

Sure. The reason that this neutral zone was created was that over the centuries, Parravon marched armies over the Grey Lady Pass to besiege Ubersreik. Can't remember the specifics right now, but the Bretonnians were defeated each time, and the terms of the last surrender was to define this buffer area between the Reikland, Karak, and Parravon.

In terms of population, it's a few dozen off-the-grid farmers, Bretonnian monks of Taal, and Dwarf miners. Plus, a whole bunch of barrows including that of Kemmler, and a glacial lake containing the tomb of Krell (deceased Champion of Chaos)...