Viydagg Retcon/Return

For general discussions about WFRP
FasterThanJesus

I remember the Viydagg from 1st edition as a demon of the one of the law gods (Arianka?) but am unaware of anything since. However, it has been referenced in Archives of the Empire in the Laurelorn section:
...Powerful spirits can be encountered near this sacred site, including Viydagg, the primeval maiden, and Capa, the otter, patron of the naiads...
Is this the first reference since the 1st edition rulebook and possibly something of a retcon?
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Graeme Davis did an update of the Viydagg for the fourth edition on his blog. (You'll also find links to 'More Like This' if you scroll to the bottom of that blog entry.)
FasterThanJesus

Thanks, totsuzenheni, I hadn't thought to check Graeme's blog. I did have a quick look at the warhammer wiki, which only had the reference to the 1st ed bestiary.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

The second spoiler below is for one or more of the Warhammer novels. The first spoiler is the name of those Warhammer novel(s).
Spoiler
The spoiler below is for the Konrad trilogy.
Spoiler
I wonder if the .... entity on the island in Marienburg (if i've remembered that correctly) in the third book of the Konrad trilogy was a Viydagg.
dry_erase

FasterThanJesus wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:14 pm I remember the Viydagg from 1st edition as a demon of the one of the law gods (Arianka?) but am unaware of anything since. However, it has been referenced in Archives of the Empire in the Laurelorn section:
...Powerful spirits can be encountered near this sacred site, including Viydagg, the primeval maiden, and Capa, the otter, patron of the naiads...
Is this the first reference since the 1st edition rulebook and possibly something of a retcon?
Is there perhaps a passing reference in 'Tome of Salvation'? I can't quite remember. Mabrothrax was in Tome of Corruption.

She was never explicitly written out of the background... just not referenced again. The Mardagg turned up in a Black Library novel.
FasterThanJesus

dry_erase wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:38 pm Is there perhaps a passing reference in 'Tome of Salvation'? I can't quite remember. Mabrothrax was in Tome of Corruption.

She was never explicitly written out of the background... just not referenced again. The Mardagg turned up in a Black Library novel.
I know there's a lot of dangling lore from 1st ed, particularly pre Realms of Chaos. I actually don't mind the retcon in these cases where they make sense and remain somewhat true to the original content.

I'm unaware of either reference (or more likely forgot), but will have to read through those two now to try and spot them.
FasterThanJesus

Right, astonishing success with indexing the material that I do have as PDFs and ebooks, which amounts to some v1 and all v4, my v2 and v3 material is all hardcopies. I've got probably something like a quarter of the novels but nothing released in the last ten years. Out of that, I've probably only read a half, but this is a gem from Brunner the Bounty Hunter.
‘No, thats not meant to be Morr,’ replied Horst. ‘Though I thought so myself. It is some sort of daemon, some fell creature that supposedly nearly destroyed Remas long ago, just after the elves had gone away. According to the cult of Solkan, the daemon was only stopped when Solkan sent a good spirit to do battle with it. They fought, so the cult says, for a year and a day before the good spirit overcame the daemon and imprisoned its soul in a bottle.’ Horst allowed himself a short laugh. ‘The cult says the spirit sent by Solkan was called a Viydagg, though an elf ship captain I once talked to said that such spirits are associated with a goddess called Arianka, not Solkan. All heathen nonsense if you ask me.’

A feeling of dread began to crawl up Brunner’s spine as he watched the puppet daemon continue to cut down the little wooden people on the stage. ‘What about the daemon?’ he asked. ‘Does it have a name?’

‘Yes,’ Horst answered. ‘They call it the Mardagg.’
However, this is all I found. Is this what you were thinking of, dry_erase?
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

That's a nice little find FasterThatJesus. Perhaps it would be worth searching for misspellings and variants using 'jokers' if you can do that in Calibre and haven't already done so. (I take it that this was using the full text search tool integrated into Calibre you mentioned.)
Overlord

I gonna look what name had the demon who blight Middenheim in "Warriors of Ulric". This find of Yours give me some clue and if memory serves it will be more lore to him
I have ocean of treasures at the bottom. You can search it If You want, but You may never come back.
FasterThanJesus

totsuzenheni wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:48 pm That's a nice little find FasterThatJesus. Perhaps it would be worth searching for misspellings and variants using 'jokers' if you can do that in Calibre and haven't already done so. (I take it that this was using the full text search tool integrated into Calibre you mentioned.)
There is a Calibre plugin that integrates with a full-text search engine ran as a local server. It does support some sophisticated search features, probably including wildcards, but I'm not sure if it is compliant with regular expressions. It saved me the job of doing much myself :)

I'll have a deeper look this evening, but I had spent a lot of time getting the old novels off my kindle and getting the DriveThruRPG PDFs and fixing the metadata from Cubicle 7's immensely inconsistent naming schemes.

A bit more info I found after posting: the story is called "Where walks the Mardagg" and refers to it a lot, so I'm guessing it is the story that dry_erase refers to.
Overlord

Overlord wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 am I gonna look what name had the demon who blight Middenheim in "Warriors of Ulric". This find of Yours give me some clue and if memory serves it will be more lore to him
Bad call. It was a Liche - thing and name was "Babrakkos"
Hammers of Ulric
I have ocean of treasures at the bottom. You can search it If You want, but You may never come back.
dry_erase

FasterThanJesus wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:12 pm Out of that, I've probably only read a half, but this is a gem from Brunner the Bounty Hunter.

However, this is all I found. Is this what you were thinking of, dry_erase?
That's the one. There are a few little callbacks like that in the Black Library novels and I think the older, slightly odder, elements are a nice way to keep WFRP from relying on the same clichéd tropes.

There's a Brunner short story set in Remas with Solkanite adversaries too - is that the same one?
Wolf

I’m pretty sure it ends with Brunner doing a runner when the Mardagg actually turns up too.
dry_erase

Wolf wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:05 pm I’m pretty sure it ends with Brunner doing a runner when the Mardagg actually turns up too.
"Brunner Does A Runner!" would have been a better title.

Actually, I'd enjoy reading any Black Library series where the hero deals with conflict by legging it.
Overlord

dry_erase wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:21 pm Actually, I'd enjoy reading any Black Library series where the hero deals with conflict by legging it.
In my RRP play My PC is actually fond of that strategy when things go to hot :P
How someone can be a hero do adventures, when You lay dead? Its most our basic instinct and we as players easly forget about it.
dry_erase

Overlord wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:10 pm
dry_erase wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:21 pm Actually, I'd enjoy reading any Black Library series where the hero deals with conflict by legging it.
In my RRP play My PC is actually fond of that strategy when things go to hot :P
It's a sound strategy! I play a lot of Call of Cthulhu and my PC wouldn't have got where he is today without running away at the slightest sign of blasphemous horrors beyond human comprehension.
FasterThanJesus

dry_erase wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:21 pm "Brunner Does A Runner!" would have been a better title.

Actually, I'd enjoy reading any Black Library series where the hero deals with conflict by legging it.
That's a much more WFRP than WFB strategy though.

"A Mardagg? Isn't that the thing with a profile that looks like Jeff Bezos' bank account?" [picks up dice for the flee test]
dry_erase

FasterThanJesus wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 pm
dry_erase wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:21 pm "Brunner Does A Runner!" would have been a better title.

That's a much more WFRP than WFB strategy though.

"A Mardagg? Isn't that the thing with a profile that looks like Jeff Bezos' bank account?" [picks up dice for the flee test]
"Two snotlings with rusty kitchen knives? Can't risk infected wounds... leg it."
Karanthir

It's 40k rather than Warhammer, but are you aware of Ciaphas Cain? That's his go-to plan (not that it ever works).
dry_erase

Karanthir wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:37 am

It's 40k rather than Warhammer, but are you aware of Ciaphas Cain? That's his go-to plan (not that it ever works).
I wasn't aware of him - thanks. I looked him up and I like the idea of 40k Flashman... given the Imperium is driven by heroic sacrifice and not much humour, it's nice to have some contrast.