Enemy Within Updates (plus other stuff)

The enemy lurks in shadows
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

I wonder how much of that is actually new content. It looks like the River Life Of The Empire has been expanded on. The Emperor Luitpold appeared in the Warhammer Companion. I think Vengeance Of The Gravelord is at least based on a previous publication, but it's not one i ever had and i can't quite recall what it was for.
FasterThanJesus

totsuzenheni wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:27 pm I wonder how much of that is actually new content. It looks like the River Life Of The Empire has been expanded on. The Emperor Luitpold appeared in the Warhammer Companion. I think Vengeance Of The Gravelord is at least based on a previous publication, but it's not one i ever had and i can't quite recall what it was for.
River life has been expanded on - I can see why it wouldn't fit in the DotR. From skimming over it, I'd say it's similar to EiS Companion as far as new content goes, or maybe not quite as much since a lot is derived from River Life. Vengence of the Gravelord is a rework from The Restless Dead.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

FasterThanJesus wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:48 pm Vengence of the Gravelord is a rework from The Restless Dead.
I have a PDF of The Restless Dead. Do you know what Vengeance Of The Gravelord is a reworking of?
skerrigan

It's a few elements of Carrion up the Reik reworked into an overly scripted sidequest. Bit disappointing really.
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

No flying skulls then?
skerrigan

No, that'll be in the PBtT companion apparently.
FasterThanJesus

Looks like Cubicle 7 have made a an errata form on their website now: https://www.cubicle7games.com/our-games ... ubmission/
skerrigan

Good, because they spelt Navigation wrong in one of the chapter headings, of a book about boats....
FasterThanJesus

skerrigan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:38 am Good, because they spelt Navigation wrong in one of the chapter headings, of a book about boats....
LOL. I just looked that up, 'nagivation'. I wonder if the author is having some relationship issues.
dry_erase

totsuzenheni wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:27 pm I wonder how much of that is actually new content. It looks like the River Life Of The Empire has been expanded on. The Emperor Luitpold appeared in the Warhammer Companion. I think Vengeance Of The Gravelord is at least based on a previous publication, but it's not one i ever had and i can't quite recall what it was for.
Rough estimate based on pages, but about 55 pages are new material, out of 119. There are a lot of NPCs, more stuff on boats, details on Semaphore Towers, bestiary, diseases etc. The recycled content has been updated of course.

Vengeance of the Gravelord is the opening scenes of a longer adventure which will run parallel to the Enemy Within in the companions, so I expect we'll see more original material after this adaptation of the Carrion Up The Reik content.
skerrigan

To say it's an update of Carrion Up the Reik is not really accurate. The plot of 4e's Carrion Up the Reik is basically:-
Spoiler
The PCs encounter 3 Monks of Sigmar, including Brother Marcus from the original Carrion, who join them on their way to Altdorf again. While they are on the boat they are attacked by undead carrion birds, who kill Brother Marcus. Then later on the birds drop a note from the necromancer the Gravelord saying, "So all who piss off the Gravelord". They are meant to take the body to a Temple of Sigmar. While there the Gravelord animates the corpse and does some woooo scary theatrics, but cannot be caught. The text says he will, by sheer coincidence, run into the PCs again. The End.
It left me a little cold, as I kinda like the original Carrion, which is 14 pages+, whilst this feels a little stuffed in the back at 7 pages. No
Spoiler
Sons of Ulric or encounter with the Grand Theogonist, though that might be in PBtT's companion or in the actual adventure itself. We probably won't know for a while.
Zisse

Article on the purple hand on C7's homepage:
https://www.cubicle7games.com/wfrp-the- ... ification/
Orin J.

it's really more of a bit of argument for those playing the campaign once again and using meta knowledge to mess with the cult, really. i guess they wanted to discuss it but couldn't find reason enough to put it in a book...
sx dwarf

skerrigan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:22 pm
It left me a little cold, as I kinda like the original Carrion, which is 14 pages+, whilst this feels a little stuffed in the back at 7 pages. No
Spoiler
Sons of Ulric or encounter with the Grand Theogonist, though that might be in PBtT's companion or in the actual adventure itself. We probably won't know for a while.
From what I know, CutR will be a side short campaign to TEW campaign. So we will see with the sequel of Vengeance of the Gravelord in the PbtT Companion.
Gideon

Zisse wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:50 am Article on the purple hand on C7's homepage:
https://www.cubicle7games.com/wfrp-the- ... ification/
It's a bit frustrating that the issues with the organisation of the Purple Hand have still not been resolved. They've been known for a long time. I've discussed this exact point in my Companion (in Appendix One of every edition). C7 even dedicated a section of the Enemy in Shadows Companion to the cult. Yet there is still confusion about basics like where the cult is headquartered. It wouldn't be hard to pin these things down, unless GW doesn't want them pinned down for some reason.
Orin J.

i mean it's a tzeentchi cult- those are rarely actually cut and dry. also it's pretty reasonable to leave room for the GM to shuffle matters about.

pointing out the confusion and then just leaving ti in the air as "something of interest" smacks of terrible work on their part though.
Zisse

I keep repeating myself, but in the end what counts for me regarding TEW from C7 are parts 4&5. To some extent, how PbtT gets more accessible.
Regarding the purple hand there is room for fleshing them out in parts 3-5. If that is done, I am fine.
Zisse

Oh, and that's why I am really looking forward to your second part on what might come, Gideon.
I just yesterday browsed through the Rough Nights and the Ubersreik guide. There are quite a few nobles, which could be on different sides in Empire in Ruins. Jungfreud especially, but also the Sudenland subplot in Night at the opera introduces existing tensions. There is plenty of strife in the Reikland already and they might add from the other provinces.
FasterThanJesus

The title of this should probably be updated to Enemy Within Updates (plus other stuff).

Quite a lot of info was revealed today: https://www.cubicle7games.com/wfrp-update-3/

DotR physical copies are due Q1 (just assume any date includes the word 'allegedly,' said in Angus Daeyton's sardonic tones) as a result of changing printers to improve capacity.

City of the White Wolf is due in a few weeks in PDF format.

One Shots of the Reikland is a collection of short adventures coming out over the next few weeks.

Also, PBtT and its companion are supposed to be available in a few weeks too.

We got another dev diary today, too. It's just an overview of the contents of PBtT and City of the White Wolf. Nothing struck me as too exciting to report - mostly just talking about the aspects of Middenheim that are covered with references to new material that has expanded upon the original setting over the years. CE artwork was revealed, Blitzbeil and Ulric. I'm not keen on the Ulric cover, but Blitzbeil is nice.

One quote possibly interesting to some people:

"The Storm of Chaos campaign focused on Middenheim and the Cult of Ulric. Boris Todbringer had been represented by this time as a somewhat more heroic and vigorous man who had lost his eye to the Beastlord Khazrak One-Eye. Tying this to the Red Crown, who have an important headquarters in Middenheim according to Death on the Reik, seemed logical. The successor to Ar-Ulric and several other characters who might be somewhat, shall we say, compromised by the end of Power Behind the Throne was also made clear around this time, so an appendix on how Middenheim’s government changed between 2512 IC and 2522 IC is included in the book."

Is this where we're going to start seeing a lot more smoothing out of the settings?
Zisse

It's about time. TEW 1+2 were good enough for just a conversion to 4e. Now things get more political and have to be adjusted.