Resilience and Reslove??

The enemy lurks in shadows
Gman

Hello, I will be running Wfrp 4e for the 1st time in the next 2 weeks. I have Been running games for decades just not Wfrp 4e. With that said I have played Dying of the Light using 4e and really like it, however Resilience and Resolve seem a bit to much for me. I get they serve a purpose but is that worth the additional tracking and spending of the mechanic? Seams tedious to me...perhaps we just didn't use it right ir the gm didn't understand its proper utilization.

Do you more experienced GMs use Resilience and Resolve?

Do you like the associated mechanics?

Why?

Basically I'm open to using them but I want to know they are worth the additional effort.

Please either sell me on using them or talk me out of it.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
mormegil

From my experience, Resolve did not get much use, but Resilience was used very often, especially when the players wanted to change the tide of battle. To be able to pick your roll is a huge advantage.
OldPlayer

My players use fortune quite a lot and it's fine.

Resilience has been used a few times as a "save" to avoid a huge hit. Never to get a guaranted crit.
Now one of them, non human^^, is out of resilience points. I don't give resilience back easily so they know spending 1 point is a pretty big deal.

They have used resolve to help pass key cool tests not really anything to abuse there.
CapnZapp

Gman wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:32 am Hello, I will be running Wfrp 4e for the 1st time in the next 2 weeks. I have Been running games for decades just not Wfrp 4e. With that said I have played Dying of the Light using 4e and really like it, however Resilience and Resolve seem a bit to much for me. I get they serve a purpose but is that worth the additional tracking and spending of the mechanic? Seams tedious to me...perhaps we just didn't use it right ir the gm didn't understand its proper utilization.

Do you more experienced GMs use Resilience and Resolve?

Do you like the associated mechanics?

Why?

Basically I'm open to using them but I want to know they are worth the additional effort.

Please either sell me on using them or talk me out of it.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
I'm afraid I found the creation of a separate Fate/Fortune mechanic to be a failed experiment. The way Resolve points lets you ignore Psychology for a round means that monsters that rely on Fear and Terror are severely weakened. The way you're supposed to get them back (completing "goals") was an unwelcome meta-game intrusion that never worked for us.

My advice is to simply remove Resolve/Resilience from your game. Players can still use Fortune points to reroll failed Psychology Tests. If you feel you must, add any Resolve points to the characters allowance of Fortune points (and don't give back all of them each session).
OldPlayer

Nah it works fine especially with low XP chars. Gives them a chance against fear causing monsters. At 30/40 cool it might come handy.

And with some creativity it works ok with goals and party goals and such. You do have to work a little to find these goals specifically.
And It's fun to see a player use resolve to ignore fear or a condition when it's something important to the Char story.
Orin J.

CapnZapp wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:23 am I'm afraid I found the creation of a separate Fate/Fortune mechanic to be a failed experiment. The way Resolve points lets you ignore Psychology for a round means that monsters that rely on Fear and Terror are severely weakened. The way you're supposed to get them back (completing "goals") was an unwelcome meta-game intrusion that never worked for us.
this is one of those things that is staggeringly dependent on the types of people at the table, and if your group is more about upending the system for fun hijinks than following the GM's intended narrative it can be a massive roadblock to making the game work.

WFRP 4th is really a game that needs a deep GM assistance book, and it's a shame that even the GM section is intended for helping the PCs. i personally was going to just rolls the fate/resolve points together and fiddle with how many i let players start with before my group decided to nope out of playing this edition entirely.