Death on the Reik: Getting PCs off the barge

For general discussions about WFRP
Machete_Matt

My players got through the first part of TEW and are now the proud (temporary) owners of a barge. I want to start running Rought Nights & Hard Days as interludes.

My problem is getting the PCs to an inn for the night while traveling: sleeping on the barge is free, keeps them all in one group, and helps them keep watch on the boat and its cargo. I can get them into a tavern for dinner, but probably not overnight.

One idea I had is to cause some damage to the barge and allow repairs overnight, forcing them to sleep in an inn.

Any other thoughts on how to get them onto land for the night? :?:
satakuua

Sink the barge.
Whymme

Infestation of lice.
Hyarion

Does the barge have a roofed section? Give 'em rain.

If there are Coaching Inns dotted all over the Empire's major roadways, it's not unfathomable for there to be "River Inns" for toll keeping purposes or for boats that do not have sleeping space or cannot safely navigate at night (due to size or maneuverability).

Further, given that many roads follow natural features like rivers, it's quite possible that the Three Feathers Inn is built such that it has a dock in the river to help bring in more traffic.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Rangdo

Municipal law in favour of local hostelries making it illegal to sleep in your barge.
satakuua

Rangdo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:37 am Municipal law in favour of local hostelries making it illegal to sleep in your barge.
Good one.
Knight of the Lady

Corrupt River Wardens coming along, in large numbers and well-armed, to correct some fake taxes can perhaps be used and incentive to if possible event ditch the barge entirely when the time for that comes?

But combine greedy little River Warden buggers with sticky hands and that law against sleeping in barges and you could have a solution.
Silke

Sleeping in the barge should be damp, wet and cold give them a cold make them sick if they fail a appropriate roll.
Make it illegal to sleep on the barge.
Machete_Matt

Thanks for all the suggestions! "Sink the barge" is, of course, a great suggestion referring to WFRP lore, but it is not time for "Carrion" yet. :-)

I did especially like the ideas of a municipal law/tax. I may add a fee for the guarding of the barge by some "entrepreneurs".

Thanks!