Warhammer novels, and short stories

For general discussions about WFRP
satakuua

Knight of the Lady wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:25 pm I took a quick look at the Lexicanum and, from a potential ignorant perspective, it seems to me that Malus is probably a pretty nasty piece of work, but it seems he's primary positioned in the Chaos Wastes and Chaos-influenced north and so put against various creatures of Chaos and thus don't come off as badly as he would be if he was terrorizing or fighting High Elves, the Empire, Bretonnia etc.

So it seems its kind of "PoV of lesser evil fighting a greater evil".

And I thought I detected a bit of Elric-inspiration over him as well.
Gotcha.
satakuua

Finished Beasts in Velvet. It was a lot of fun, though the way it was written felt to me more like a B movie than a novel. Still, very entertaining!
Danke Dave

I stumbled upon this when looking for some book reviews:

http://sj1wfb.blogspot.com/
Karanthir

satakuua wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:15 pm Finished Beasts in Velvet. It was a lot of fun, though the way it was written felt to me more like a B movie than a novel. Still, very entertaining!
Well, it's a Jack the Ripper pastiche featuring a Dirty Harry knock-off, at least one parody of a 1980s British politician and a load of other references. So B movie is probably an accurate description!
satakuua

Did not know Dixon, but the rest were familiar! What I meant I found the rapid point of view changes and cuts to other locations made it seem like a fun popcorn romp.

Also made me look into the rest of the Warhammer stuff Newman wrote.
Karanthir

It's all good, although maybe a bit more like Warhammer meets Discworld than just Warhammer in the stricter sense we have now. As others have said, Drachenfels is probably his best Warhammer novel.
Theo

Karanthir wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:28 am It's all good, although maybe a bit more like Warhammer meets Discworld than just Warhammer in the stricter sense we have now. As others have said, Drachenfels is probably his best Warhammer novel.
Indeed. At his best - as in Drachenfels - Kim Newman's writing style comes across as somewhere between Terry Pratchett and Alan Moore. :)
satakuua

Oh yeah! I did feel I tasted a bit of Disc in there!
Wolf

When it was published, the more Discworldy parts seemed entirely appropriate to the general feel of Warhammer. This was at a time when White Dwarf published a cross over scenario for 40k and Paranoia though. The ultra dull serious Warhammer was a much later thing.
satakuua

Good times, those.
Silke

I know there is a short story which features a priest of sigmar, trapped under his hourse and a Chaos figure having a long conversation with the poor priest, If i remember correct he is convincing the preist to switch his conviction to chaos or along thows lines.
I've been trying to find it again but, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Orin J.

Silke wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:04 am I know there is a short story which features a priest of sigmar, trapped under his hourse and a Chaos figure having a long conversation with the poor priest, If i remember correct he is convincing the preist to switch his conviction to chaos or along thows lines.
I've been trying to find it again but, can anyone point me in the right direction?
doesn't sound like anything i've come across, have you looked into inferno and those other compliation books? if it's in there it might have slipped most people's memories.

that said, coulda been fanwork.
Karanthir

This might be a long shot, but has anyone read the novels Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance by Chris Wraight? I'm thinking about running a sequel to the 3rd Edition TEW and interested in the situation in Averland more than the stories themselves, and I'm really not bothered about diverging from GW's official version of events*. So if the novels are good I'll read them and plunder them for ideas, if not I'll just ignore them. But you never know with BL, so I thought I'd look for recommendations/reviews first.

*There definitely won't be an End Times in my campaign world - I haven't even decided whether there will be a Storm of Chaos!
Silke

Silke wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:04 am I know there is a short story which features a priest of sigmar, trapped under his hourse and a Chaos figure having a long conversation with the poor priest, If i remember correct he is convincing the preist to switch his conviction to chaos or along thows lines.
I found it I knew it exiated somewhere...
in the book "Tales of the Old World"
The Faithful Servent" by Gav Thorpe p 273-287.
Ralzar

It's a long time since I read it, so I can't guarantee the litterary quality, but I allways found The Blackhearts series by Nathan Long to perfectly encapsulate WFRP.

A motley crew of imperial citizens blackmailed by a noble to undertake suicide missions that bring them face to face with many of the classic Warhammer enemies. It's basically like reading a WFRP campaign report.