[Help Needed] Ritual Magic - lore of Metal (WFRP2)

For general discussions about WFRP
Overlord

Well here is the Thing. I need help.
Let just say there is a PC who is a Journeyman wizard of lore of metal. And lets just say... ehhh lets stop pretend. ;)
My Character is Wizard of lore of metal and in encounter he "lost" his arm. Well he dont loose it or something but hand from the elbow is paralyzed. It so happends that this charcter have also NPC friend who is dwarven engineer. And as it goes using ritual of "The body Gilded" hand could be golden but still dont moving. So i get the idea (Steampunk arm). Clockwork arm who thanks to help of Dwarf is attached to my char and i need ritual that actually ressurect the arm or give it life that it could be moved like normal. (idk do i write it good - if not correct me). My GM said that if i make a ritual with Realms of Sorcery and make it with all steps (research, notes ect.) and if it make good impression on him from lore wise and technology wise he weill allow it. Making project of clockwork arm will not be a problem (cosmetics, pictures, projects ect.) But from lore wise perspective i need help. Well is there a good GM's that can give a hand in here?
I have ocean of treasures at the bottom. You can search it If You want, but You may never come back.
FasterThanJesus

2nd Edition did have a list of prosthetics and I think there was at least an artificial hand in there.

There's also this guy, who has an artificial arm: https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wik ... Damminsson.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

There was also a first edition article in an early Warpstone (Warpstone issue 1 i think) on prosthetics. I may have been reproduced in the 'best of' compilation of Warpstone articles published by Hogshead Publishing.
Orin J.

are you trying to turn the arm to gold so the dwarf can build a clockwork arm aroud it or into it?.....i'm not all that clear what the end goal is here.
Overlord

Orin J. wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 pm are you trying to turn the arm to gold so the dwarf can build a clockwork arm aroud it or into it?.....i'm not all that clear what the end goal is here.
Accoording what is writed on Realms of Sorcery
You permanently substitute one of your body
parts with a replacement of gold. Gilded body parts function as they did prior to the
ritual.

So my Char will have gold arm but still it still be paralyzed... I wanted functioning arm :)
I have ocean of treasures at the bottom. You can search it If You want, but You may never come back.
Hyarion

So normally, I would say "Go talk to your GM."
....but you already did that. Well done.
...And your GM said yes! Fantastic!
...So what's the problem?

If your question is "Can I use The Body Gilded to get my hand back." The answer is RAW, no, you cannot. It will be gold, but still paralyzed. It sounds like you will need to write a new ritual to get what you want. That does not sound like a hard problem.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Overlord

Hyarion wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:08 amIt sounds like you will need to write a new ritual to get what you want. That does not sound like a hard problem.
Yes thats the idea. And yes it is a problem. I read how creation of rituals goes and it killed me. And more it must be that good that my GM says "Wow. Ok lets do this".
:shock:

First i thought to revive hand with help of life magic -but it would be difficult in our game by now, second revived hand no need to make ritual for golden arm.
Then the thought of clockwork hand. Ok i had provided with proof that happend so - checked. Having dwarf who can help - checked. Now ritual. I was thinking about making metal alive so now this is point to start, but even as i know the lore im afraid im too low for it. Im no GM well some know/how is little troublesome.
Hell i dont even know do i use necromancy by some accident and my GM will in secret make use of it.
Hyarion

You don't need to *justify* it mechanically, you just need to make it *plausible*. I think you've already done the lion's share of that work. You just have to set a difficulty for this.

Why don't retired (or failed) Gold Wizards set up shop just creating new limbs for people? What would it take for that to happen? Why aren't amputations a thing of the past (even in the 20th century, people with mangled limbs aren't able to get equally functional replacements)? Taken to it's logical conclusion, there would be some people who might self-amputate limbs in order to upgrade from the flesh?

But as I write this, you want the cool factor of having a mechanical hand. Why don't you want the consequences of your (presumably) epic fight? It seems like you are trying to remove some story device that could drive your character development forward. A character that overcomes his challenges to continue to cast magic with one hand could be cool as well. Food for thought.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Orin J.

Seems like you're kind of dancing around what you want to accomplish. If you want to make some mechanical arm to work in place of your current gimped one, why not enchant armor with gold magic to function instead of trying to fiddle with the dwarf's clockwork? Instead of a ritual to make your arm work, make a magical gauntlet and stuff to work your arm like it was normal while you wore it? That's probably a LOT easier to justify than turning the arm to gold and gives you a fun adventure to do to collect what you need to create the thing.
hallucyon

Orin J.'s suggestion is a good one. It circumvents another serious problem: merging two winds of magic.

Your character is a wizard who has mastered the lore of metal and can channel the wind of metal*. The original idea, as I see it, is to turn his paralysed upper limb into a golden exhibit and then revive it, i.e. imbue it with the wind of life. What you get is a wizard using the wind of metal to cast spells who has the metal limb operating by means of the wind of life. Would not it be an unwilling step towards the dark magic? After all, dark-magic practitioners are not trained to distil out single winds of magic and they succumb so easily to Chaos because they use mixed winds of magic.

Well, from my point of view such a negative side-effect would be an essence of Warhammer but you may not want it.

*) I do not remember official names as it has been more than ten years since I played the second edition.
Overlord

Well and thats the point what i want avoid. My GM is cool guy, but in his session he seriouly punishes any obvious mistakes our PC make - arm of my wizard for example (this is actually my mistakem couse he gives me clues that im pushing to far and it can end disasterous). Other PC Char has burs all over it body couse he charge oppenly on Fire Wizard - he get flaming hands without evading. Well...

But in second thought going into Dark Arts also could be interesting playthrough. In the end every PC meet his demise :D:D
Zisse

Adding a pointer to a little bit of lore from the black library: in the second part of the Slaves to Darkness trilogy, one character receives a dwarfen replacement of a body part. I don't want to go into more detail to not spoil.
The trilogy was interesting to read, BTW. A lot of lore for Norsca, witch hunters, Marienburg, Araby, Chaos etc.