The Words of the Law

For general discussions about WFRP
Orin J.

solkan is pretty much the muscle of the (chaos*) gods of law, serving as retribution for those who violate their tenets, including being a patron god of many witch hunters seeking to destroy chaos. the followers of solkan are apparently not popular with others due to being a bunch of bigots that treat things as black and white.
Clint wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:38 am Interesting. And I guess there are reasons that I have never encountered the Law gods before anywhere. They doesn't seem to fit thematically in the Warhammer universe very well
honestly they fit just fine with the universe, you just have to remember that the chaos gods in fantasy lie like crazy and you need to sift through the chaff of it all to figure out what they mean. they work just fine as a counterpoint to the chaos god's actual natures, with the law gods serving as the opposite extreme to the chaos gods.

*at one point the law gods were folded into the realm of chaos, as chaos can even include stasis within itself. obviously, "chaos gods of law" didn't take off being as confusing as it was. probably why the shelved them, easier than walking it back.
Hectorius

I wrote an adventure called "In the name of the Law" which can be found on Kalevalahammer.
It features a remote monastery, murder, and an insane Solkanite on a crusade to purify the place.
There is some Solkanite fluff in that as well.
satakuua

totsuzenheni wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:50 am
Clint wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:38 am Interesting. And I guess there are reasons that I have never encountered the Law gods before anywhere. They don't seem to fit thematically in the Warhammer universe very well.
They do and they don't, depending on which version of the Warhammer universe you are referring to. The most likely reason you've never encountered them before is because they were left out of the canon fairly early on. After their appearance in WFRP 1st edition and Advanced HeroQuest they disappeared, at least as far as i know. Gideon has written about their history on his Awesome Lies blog, here: https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... ncing-act/ .
Who is Gideon? I tried to read some of those WFRP stories, but could not understand much of it. Is it just because they discuss things so far in the past, or is it really super ”out there”, his musings?
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

satakuua wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:46 pm
totsuzenheni wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:50 am
Clint wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:38 am Interesting. And I guess there are reasons that I have never encountered the Law gods before anywhere. They don't seem to fit thematically in the Warhammer universe very well.
They do and they don't, depending on which version of the Warhammer universe you are referring to. The most likely reason you've never encountered them before is because they were left out of the canon fairly early on. After their appearance in WFRP 1st edition and Advanced HeroQuest they disappeared, at least as far as i know. Gideon has written about their history on his Awesome Lies blog, here: https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... ncing-act/ .
Who is Gideon? I tried to read some of those WFRP stories, but could not understand much of it. Is it just because they discuss things so far in the past, or is it really super ”out there”, his musings?
I know ( of ) Gideon as a poster on this and other forums. In WFRP circles i think he is best known for his 'The Enemy Within: A Companion' and his blog; the one that i linked to. As far as i'm aware his interest is predominantly, or perhaps even exclusively in WFRP 1st edition. I'm not sure what you mean when referring to his stories, and i don't know why you don't understand much of it. The link above takes you to part XVIII ( 18 ) of his 'The WFRP Story' series, which is a history of WFRP: the word 'story' in the title here means 'history' rather than 'fiction'. A lot of his other posts contain copies of pages from some of the very first WFRP articles, and i would think some of those contain stories, but they are not Gideon's.
satakuua

I did not mean to insult anyone. Wanted to know if he was a part of the group responsible for WFRP.

And yes: poor choice of words. The stories I referred to are the bits of history.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

satakuua wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:34 pm I did not mean to insult anyone. Wanted to know if he was a part of the group responsible for WFRP.

And yes: poor choice of words. The stories I referred to are the bits of history.
No insult was taken, at least not by me. As far as i know Gideon isn't directly involved in any official WFRP products, but you might notice that some people who are and/or have been so involved post replies on his Awesome Lies blog entries.
Gideon

I have had no official involvement with any WFRP products; I am just a fan, like most people here. Awesome Lies is a random collection of thoughts mainly about WFRP1, but also a little about other WFRP editions and WFB. 'The WFRP Story' is a series of posts discussing the real-world origins of WFRP, starting from its earliest beginnings. The series is far from complete, but you can read the first 22 posts, starting here:

https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... %ef%bb%bf/

They should make more sense if you start at the beginning. There will be more posts in the series later this year.

And no offence was taken by me, either! :)
satakuua

Yes, starting from the beginning did help :)
satakuua

My players have not gotten far enough to deal with Chaos, I try to keep it as low fantasy as possible (magic users are NPCs, no magic weapons, elves are not around, and so on). Still, I’ve always felt Solkan and Malal are somehow connected. The fanatical and violent attitude towards the ruinous powers appears to me as the link. Highly non-canonical, but as I also see Slaanesh as the one most would flock to instead of Tzeentch, I do not feel especially bad to steer from that path.

And in my Warhammer Slaanesh is heavily inspired by Hellraiser and Barker’s Cenobites in general. The full on hooks-in-flesh is not for the hoi polloi, yet the hedonistic, softer, side I see as more appealing to the masses than the maneuvering for power in the shadows. That is for a more select crowd, in my opinion.

Apologies for veering off-topic.