Best object quests

For general discussions about WFRP
Gideon

I am looking for published scenarios in the classic mould of a search for an object or MacGuffin (like the Holy Grail). They do not need to be WFRP scenarios, or even fantasy ones. I am happy to convert from other games or genres. I would just like some good material to plunder. Suggestions welcomed.
Zisse

Empire in Flames? Sorry, could not resist.
Rangdo

Zisse wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:12 am Empire in Flames? Sorry, could not resist.
I mentioned that over on rpg.net before realising who was doing the asking! :oops:
Gideon

Zisse wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:12 am Empire in Flames?
Gideon wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 am I would just like some good material to plunder.
:)
Toby Pilling

I always thought that the 'Death Rock' part of the Doomstones campaign had a good 'Name of the Rose' type feel about it. It could stand alone as an 'object quest' adventure in a mountaintop monastery.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Spoiler
The campaign that came in the Advanced HeroQuest main game was essentially a broken object quest in four parts (or five parts if you count the 'surprise' added section at the end of the fourth part separately). You wouldn't need to buy the whole game, only the rulebook.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Spoiler
The original Dragon Warriors Book 1 had an object quest for a king's treasure. It turned out that his treasure was the grain necessary to feed his people, or something like that.
Rangdo

Isn't 3e's Witch's Song a broken object quest too?
Wolf

totsuzenheni wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:57 am
Spoiler
The campaign that came in the Advanced HeroQuest main game was essentially a broken object quest in four parts (or five parts if you count the 'surprise' added section at the end of the fourth part separately). You wouldn't need to buy the whole game, only the rulebook.
I’m not sure there’s really very much to plunder, though is there? It’s just a set up to some dungeon bashes - which is fine but possibly not that inspired.

Which I suspect is why Gideon has posted this question: though common set ups for adventures, the execution is mainly fairly dull. Although I feel should be able to think of lots of examples, I am having a hard time thinking of much. From the dim and distant past I do recall The Riddling Reaver for Fighting Fantasy as having a fun chase around a town and collect objects adventure - all quite silly with its series of clues left by the villain (though no more so than a Dan Brown novel) but varied and fun locations.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Wolf wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:59 am
totsuzenheni wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:57 am
Spoiler
I’m not sure there’s really very much to plunder, though is there? It’s just a set up to some dungeon bashes - which is fine but possibly not that inspired.
I don't remember enough about the details, but yes, it is a dungeon crawl essentially.
Spoiler
Come to think of it the one expansion: Terror In The Dark, is also a series of dungeon crawl object quests, though more obviously so.
Gideon

Wolf wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:59 am Which I suspect is why Gideon has posted this question: though common set ups for adventures, the execution is mainly fairly dull. Although I feel should be able to think of lots of examples, I am having a hard time thinking of much.
Yes, it feels like RPGs should be awash with good quest scenarios, but I'm really struggling to find imaginative ones.
Wolf wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:59 am From the dim and distant past I do recall The Riddling Reaver for Fighting Fantasy as having a fun chase around a town and collect objects adventure - all quite silly with its series of clues left by the villain (though no more so than a Dan Brown novel) but varied and fun locations.
Yes, I had The Riddling Reaver once upon a time. For all its silliness, you're right it was actually quite fun.

I'll check out all the ideas, but am still interested in more, if anyone has them, in any system or genre.
Karanthir

Rangdo wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 am Isn't 3e's Witch's Song a broken object quest too?
No, you might be thinking of The Gathering Storm, which is a fairly classic broken object quest.

It might not be that exciting/interesting for an experienced group, but it's a very good intro to the Warhammer world in that it has a variety of enemies to fight. Some people like to modify the "twist" even for beginner groups, though, as it's a bit too much of a classic trope.
Spoiler
The wizard is the villain
Definitely fits in the category of what Gideon is looking for though.
Hyarion

You could probably get a lot of good mileage out of various episodes of Star Trek which revolve around running out of fuel, finding scientists in hiding, parts for a ship, missing colonists, etc.

If you want a heist theme, you could look at Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home.
If you want more of a combat theme, you could look at Star Trek: First Contact
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Rangdo

Karanthir wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:02 am
Rangdo wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 am Isn't 3e's Witch's Song a broken object quest too?
No, you might be thinking of The Gathering Storm, which is a fairly classic broken object quest.

It might not be that exciting/interesting for an experienced group, but it's a very good intro to the Warhammer world in that it has a variety of enemies to fight. Some people like to modify the "twist" even for beginner groups, though, as it's a bit too much of a classic trope.
Spoiler
The wizard is the villain
Definitely fits in the category of what Gideon is looking for though.
That's the one. Thanks!
Karanthir

Rangdo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:49 am That's the one. Thanks!
No problem. I was going to mention it anyway!