Cathay sourcebook?

For general discussions about WFRP
adambeyoncelowe

Karanthir wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:42 am Nothing wrong with being "woke" and wanting your modern RPG product to fit modern sensibilities (especially if they are your own sensibilities). I don't want to speak for Fox, but I don't think he's saying the developer of any new Asian-inspired fantasy RPG has to be Asian, just that that's what he wants for his product. He wants insight from someone from the actual culture he's deriving the setting from. Sounds fair enough to me.

If they were changing basically everything about the contents of Tetsubo except the name (and it sounds like this was coming from the original designers as much as from Fox, though it would be interesting to hear their side), I think they made the right decision. Better to get complaints about "wokeness" now, before anyone has parted with their money for a product that won't be what they wanted.
Indeed. Why would you bother with the hassle of offending people, and having to deal with the fallout, in the first place? Life's too short.
Orin J.

adambeyoncelowe wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:56 am
Karanthir wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:42 am Nothing wrong with being "woke" and wanting your modern RPG product to fit modern sensibilities (especially if they are your own sensibilities). I don't want to speak for Fox, but I don't think he's saying the developer of any new Asian-inspired fantasy RPG has to be Asian, just that that's what he wants for his product. He wants insight from someone from the actual culture he's deriving the setting from. Sounds fair enough to me.

If they were changing basically everything about the contents of Tetsubo except the name (and it sounds like this was coming from the original designers as much as from Fox, though it would be interesting to hear their side), I think they made the right decision. Better to get complaints about "wokeness" now, before anyone has parted with their money for a product that won't be what they wanted.
Indeed. Why would you bother with the hassle of offending people, and having to deal with the fallout, in the first place? Life's too short.
it's 2020, there's an industry in being offended now. it's less "the hassle of offending people" and more "the hassle of attracting someone looking to take offense".
Theo

At least Warhammer-wise, it's quite obvious that by far the most vocal group of people "looking to take offense" are the boys who whinge and moan endlessly when someone dares to put some women or even non-white people in "their" games.
Dreadaxe

Dreadaxe wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:38 amIllustration from rulebook WFB7 #Cathay

https://www.picuki.com/media/2295752712079184048

Dreadaxe

With Warhammer Total War III

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... ammer-iii/

Celetial Riverlands
Gunpower Road
Lands of Stone and Steel
Great Bastion
Warpstone Desert
Shang-Yang
Nan-Gau
Forest of the ???
Dreadaxe

WFB6 - Warhammer Armies - The Orient, Cathay and Nippon [by Damien Kennedy] #Cathay #Nippon
https://web.archive.org/web/20111203191 ... orient.htm
This book describes in detail the troops that fight when the armies of the Orient march to war. A fully arrayed Cathanese army is striking battle force filled with colour and variety. Sturdy Ronin and Bushi form the core of the army, majestic Phoenixes glide overhead, elite Samurai prove their martial prowess, and the Wu Jen call forth awesome natural power of the Oni forest spirits. Terrifying Storm Dragons and invisible Ninja assassins roam the battlefield. In this book you will find the following sections:
The Mysterious Orient

The history of the Empire of Cathay and its uneasy alliance with the people of neighbouring Nippon and the Hobgoblin Hegemony.
Dwellers in the Floating World

A comprehensive description of the different troops and characters in Cathanese and Nipponese armies.
The Forbidden Arts

Descriptions of all the magic spells Cathanese Wizards can use – the nefarious Wu Jen and the holy warrior-priests, the Shukenja.
Treasures of the Cherry Blossom

A list of the arcane magic items that can be carried to battle by your characters.
Armies of the Celestial Bureaucracy

All the units, options, points values and other details you need to equip your army for battle.
Worshipful Heroes

Rules and background for special characters including the Bride, the Monkey King, Samurai Jek and ‘Grasshopper’ Kain.

GW Games Workshop WHFB Warhammer Nippon Cathay

I’ve been playing Warhammer Fantasy Battle (WHFB) and other Games Workshop products for nigh on twenty years. In that time I have fielded all the various Warhammer armies (including original Slann!) and most 40K armies, in both campaign and tournament play. Warhammer Armies: The Orient is my second army list (see also Warhammer Armies: Araby and Warhammer Armies: the Estalian Inquisition).

I am keen on receiving any questions, comments, errata, special characters, new units, winning and losing armies that you may field, so I can improve the list. I have tried to be as true to the current state of the Warhammer World as possible, integrating details of Cathay and Nippon from as far back as the 3rd edition Warhammer Armies ‘brown book’ to make sure everything was in keeping with the history of the Warhammer World, and utilising all the information I can glean from other army lists.

A big thank-you to the legions of players who still continue on with the Undead games system, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WHFRP), and the cornucopia of material that is available for the Orient region on the web. I have harvested some of this to flesh out this army list – if you recognise your work please email me and you will score an acknowledgement.

I can't paint or convert miniatures to save my life, nor can I draw, so if you are an artist or miniature painter and feel suitably inspired to throw me some public domain artwork, I will see it is definitely included and complete acknowledgement given.Also if you know Army Builder and can construct army lists, please let me know!

GW Games Workshop WHFB Warhammer Nippon Cathay

DOWNLOAD THE ORIENT (3 Mb PDF)
Contact Details:

My email addresses are dpken@newwebcity.com and dpken@yahoo.com. Please attention with ‘The Orient, Cathay’ or 'Nippon' in the title line because I get a chronic amount of spam.

Araby, the Orient and the Estalian Inquisition army lists are available from http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dpken/warhammer/.

Check out http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/nippon_warhammer/ for an Oriental army list community and forum.

- D. Kennedy, 03/05/04.

Update History

5/04/04 v1.2 Corrected spelling mistakes. Removed reference to Shogun's Guard. Modified Martial Arts as per rec.games.miniatures.warhammer discussion. Addition of poison use to Martial Arts table. Added Allies list.

11/05/04 v1.3 Minor points changes. Formatting. Removal of Battle Monks specific Martial Arts, consolidation of Kensai Martial Arts.
Jackdays

Like Dreadaxe already mentioned, the official sources about Cathay is finally coming: Total War: Warhammer 3

This may give more ideas, and change many ideas, about the Cathay fan-sources.

With Total War: Warhammer 3 I think I read somewhere, that Forge World might be designing Cathay miniatures ? Not sure about this. But, there is The Old World -project by GW going on, which will probably bring the World-That-Was somehow back to their lists. This could mean miniatures and WFB books ... one day ... This could mean Cathay too.
Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to Kalevala Hammer.

kalevalahammer@gmail.com
www.kalevalahammer.com
Dreadaxe

Source : WJDR2 - The Compagnon - A Guide to the Known World, page 6
GRAND CATHAY
Greatest of the empires Of the east is Grand Cathay, a massive sprawling encompassing tall mountains, verdant plains and thick forests. It is a mighty empire made of many provinces, each ruled by a powerful warlord, Over all of which the Divine Emperor rules. It is also a land constantly at war, with the provincial warlords clashing across their borders as they vie for the Emperor's favour. For all its size and strength however, Cathay remains much of a mystery to the scholars Of the Empire, even those that have travelled there Only having a vague idea as to its extent and power. A wonder of Grand Cathay is Weiiin, the Seat of the Dragon Throne and capital of the empire. Reputed to be the greatest city in the world, it is home to such wonders as the Gardens, the Temple Of the Two Moons and the mystical River of Souls, said to allow passage to the underworld.
CATHAYAN LONGSWORDS
Weapons crafted by the skilled smiths of Cathay and Nippon are much sought-after items in the Old World and have been know to fetch staggering sums of gold. If of course a player ever lays his hands upon such a finely wrought blade he would immediately understand why.
Cathayan Longsword (Best): Cost 500 gc; Enc 50; Group;
Cathayan; Dmg SB +1; Qualities Armour Piercing, Fast, Precise; Avail Very Rare.
NIPPON
Located somewhere off the coast of the mainland Nippon is said to be a powerful feudal kingdom, where knights, resplendent in brightly coloured armour made of lacquered wood, enforce a complex and ridged class system. Said to be intensely distrustful of outsiders, they only permit foreigners to travel in their lands rarely. Little else is known about Nippon, though doubtless if the rest of the world is anything to go by, it will bc populated by its own unique and deadly monsters and perils.
River of Souls, said to allow passage to the underworld ^^
Dreadaxe

About Vampire Bloodline The Jade Blooded of Cathay by Steve Darlington #Cathay
https://www.tinstargames.com/stuff-for- ... ition.html
https://www.tinstargames.com/uploads/1/ ... dlines.pdf
Dreadaxe

2 rare documents of the mailing list Warhammer FRP1 by lost Rev. Garett Lepper. #Nippon #Cathay

WFRP1 - Cult Celestial Dragon [Written by Garett Lepper]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sekzuj0yoeg1 ... D.pdf?dl=0

WFRP1 - Orange Simca [Written by Garett Lepper]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ouyg7wsznzto ... D.pdf?dl=0

Also, I have txt Nippon carrer for WFRP1 by Rev. Garett Lepper if interesting
cathaycourtminister.txt
countrysamurai.txt
courtlysamurai.txt
daimyo.txt
prophet.txt
rocketengr.txt
ronin.txt
warriorsamurai.txt
Dreadaxe

Rangdo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:54 pm
Dreadaxe wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:08 am
Rangdo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:27 am So I discovered the site that had the Ind scans and they're lost to the ether. Unfortunately it also looks like I deleted them in an overenthusiastic purge of pdfs. Damn. :(
Use Wayback machine?
Tried it. The links are all dead. The blogger has saved some of the scenarios, but not the Ind stuff. Here.
http://dailyempire.guildredemund.net/do ... -nos-33-34
Dreadaxe

Dreadaxe wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:02 pm https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xrklB https://www.artstation.com/cobolyu #cathay
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Xen Ming, Dragon Emperor
Xen Ming is the fourth son to a minor consort of the late Dragon Emperor Xen Song. Knowing that he has almost no claim to the throne, he spend most of his early days living the opulent court life in a drunken stupor without any interest in politics. He was eventually falsely accused in a Chaos worshiping scandal and demoted as a Dragon Lord in the desolate frontier city of Wuping. His initial management of the city was a disaster and it was almost overran in a marauder raid if not for the brave defense of the garrisoned army. The experience deeply humbled the conceited prince who vowed to changes his ways. By employing and learning from capable advisors, he transformed the forsaken city into one of the busiest station along the Ivory Road. Not satisfied with simply keeping Wuping safe, Xen Ming looked to pacify the north once and for all by actively leading campaigns across the Great Bastion and fostering a deeply xenophobic attitude towards all outsiders.
https://www.artstation.com/cobolyu

Warhammer Khuresh concept art: Krasarb Haruspex (Monster)
Warhammer Khuresh concept art: Pannaga Kobra Ssamdek
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Baturu Warriors

Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Defiant Avenger
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Cultist Boxers
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Mogwai Prowlers
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Renegade Exorcist
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Jade Revenants
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Hungry Ghouls
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Zombie Guards
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Taotie
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: Eastern Beastmen thralls
Warhammer Jade Blooded concept art: JiangShi SilkLord

Warhammer Grand Cathay concept art: Brass Titan
Warhammer Grand Cathay concept art: Xen Tang, Dragon Emperor
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Xen Ming, Dragon Emperor
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Celestial Battle Fortress
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Cathayan Commander
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Bronze Dragon Cannon
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Monkey Warriors
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Cho Ku Nu Militia
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Cathayan Vanguard
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Hill Tribesmen
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Great Bastion Sentinels
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Black Sky
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Onyx Crowmen
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Dragon Lord
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Qilin
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Celestial Monk
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Iron Pagoda
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Stone Guardians
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Bannermen
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Terracotta Automatons
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Emperor' Shadow
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Shugengan
Warhammer Grand Cahtay concept art: Celestial Dragon
WarHammer Grand Cathay concept art: Firelancers
WarHammer Grand Cathay concept art: Ogre SwordMasters
WarHammer Grand Cathay concept art: Palace Guard
WarHammer Grand Cathay concept art: Monkey King
Le Passant

An excellent collection for Far East project. I would love to have a complete range of regional sourcebook for Kuresh, Inja, Cathay ad Nippon...
Knight of the Lady

Good luck with this project. I'll keep an eye open on how it turns out. :)
Dreadaxe

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... ammer-iii/
Watch Grand Cathay Come to Life in an Epic Collaboration for Total War: Warhammer III ImageFar to the east, past the Dwarfen realms in the Worlds Edge Mountains and beyond even the Ogre Kingdoms, lies the mysterious Grand Cathay.
It’s the largest nation in the Warhammer world, first mentioned all the way back in the second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles, but the armies of Grand Cathay have never appeared on stage before, as it were.
Until now. They’re storming onto the battlefield as one of the six main factions in the upcoming Total War: Warhammer III.
Storming, that is, in the most literal sense.
You probably have follow-up questions.
Firstly, yes, that WAS an immortal dragon in human form and then in cool dragon form too. Meet Miao Ying, one of Cathay’s two playable legendary lords.
Image Image Miao Ying (top) in-game and (bottom) as designed by the Warhammer Studio’s concept artists.
Miao appears at the head of a Grand Cathayan host that’s been designed by the Warhammer Studio from the ground up in an unprecedented collaboration with long-term partners Creative Assembly – the studio behind Total War: Warhammer I and II.
For all intents and purposes, Grand Cathay is a brand new faction, but it’s every bit as Warhammer as Emperor Karl Franz.
The Storm Dragon Miao Ying is charged with defending the northern border from the relentless incursions of Chaos. She commands the armies of the Great Bastion – a towering magical wall constructed by her father, the Celestial Dragon Emperor, that stands as a powerful vanguard against the ever-present threats to Cathay.
If you think magical walls sound rad, perhaps you spotted that big chap with the glowing face and halberd? That’s a Terracotta Sentinel, a statue that can come to life to defend the city. You might also be able to make out an Alchemist and an Astromancer, Cathay’s two main magical sorts.
Image Image Image From concept to completion – the Terracotta Sentinel went through several stages of design with the Warhammer Studio before Creative Assembly brought it to life in-game.
Cathay is a sprawling empire as diverse and eclectic as the Empire of the Old World, and amongst its ranks can be found infantry, cavalry, and war machines, as well as far stranger units. We’ll let the eagle-eyed among you try and work out what those other units might be…
…but now you come to mention it, those do look like Chaos Warriors riding Discs of Tzeentch, don’t they? We’d say more, but Chi’an Chi – as the Changer of Ways is known in Cathay – won’t let us.
Image Image Image Though Cathay has been in the Warhammer background for decades, it wasn’t until recently that the Warhammer Studio had the chance to envisage their battlefield capabilities.
With Grand Cathay looming in the Warhammer background for so long,* they’ve been a much-requested addition over the years. But beyond a few adventurous Ogres and the odd Hobgoblin Khan, we’ve never really seen much of the Cathayans.
When it came time to design them for the next instalment in the blockbuster Total War: Warhammer series, the Warhammer Studio team leapt at the chance to bring Cathay into the fold. Andy Hoare, the emperor of all things Old World, has more.
This iteration of Grand Cathay is a Warhammer Studio creation through and through. Everything from preliminary concept sketches and special character design to how the army performs on the battlefield was established by the same teams working on the wider Warhammer settings.
In fact, the Warhammer Studio went so far as to establish each and every unit for use on the tabletop, including stats and special abilities.** These numbers were then expertly translated and transposed by the technomancers at Creative Assembly, who deftly wove them into a rich campaign in this never-before-seen part of the Warhammer world.
Cathayan society follows the harmonious teachings of the Celestial Dragon Emperor and his equally powerful consort, the Moon Empress. They also happen to be two of the oldest beings still alive – predating even the arrival of the Old Ones.
They’re not gods, nor do they wish to be worshipped as such, but they are nevertheless so spectacularly powerful that they’re quite detached from the day-to-day running of their empire, which falls to their children to manage.
Children? That’s right, Miao Ying has siblings, including a certain Iron Dragon. We’ll be revealing more about the ruling Dragons next week, so keep an eye on Warhammer Community for all the details. In the meantime, you can find out more about Cathay with Creative Assembly’s FAQ.
Can’t wait to kick off a grand campaign in Grand Cathay? Total War: Warhammer III is coming out in early 2022 and is available for pre-order right now over on Steam and the Epic Games Store.
* Since 1984, fact fans.
** Eighth edition rules, we understand.
Dreadaxe

White Dwarf UK #281 (May 2003) the republish of this story appeared to WFB5 Lizardmen army book.
Thanks Luke Tubbs for scans and this message
The account of Yin-Tuan of Cathay and his discovery of Lustria.
The year is 2003 and 6th edition is progressing wonderfully. GW have been steadily updating all of the model lines and roles for each race. And now it is the turn of the Lizardmen.
As a precursor to their release WD 281 included this article written from the perspective of a Cathayan.
I thought you all might appreciate this blast from the past, as a reminder that we have often been teased about the wonders of Cathay over the last few decades! 😄
Last edited by Dreadaxe on Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karanthir

The Voyage of Yin-Tuan was originally published in the WFB 5e Lizardmen army book, so it's actually been around even longer!
Dreadaxe

Karanthir wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:03 am The Voyage of Yin-Tuan was originally published in the WFB 5e Lizardmen army book, so it's actually been around even longer!
Exact thanks for the support. I update my post.
Dreadaxe

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Zhao_Ming
Zhao Ming, the Iron Dragon, is the ruler of the Western Provinces of Grand Cathay, and the Lord of Shang-Yang.[sup][1][/sup]
Contents
  • [li]1 Overview[/li]
    [li]2 Trivia[/li]
    [li]3 Gallery[/li]
    [li]4 Sources[/li]
Overview As one of the rulers of Cathay, he is an immortal Dragon who can take human form. This makes him an incredibly powerful combatant, an amazing sorcerer, and a natural leader.[sup][1][/sup]
He rules over Western Cathay and the Sky Road that leads into the Mountains of Mourn. A hardened frontier warrior, he maintains the western edge of the empire and keeps the desert clans in order.[sup][2][/sup] This area is less defended, if less chaotic (and Chaotic), area of the world. The Western Provinces contain beasts and men of all sorts coming from further West, as well as the regular incursions of Skaven and Ogres from the Warpstone Desert and Mountains of Mourn. The creation of the Great Maw still hangs heavy on this area, even as an uneasy peace maintains.[sup][4][/sup]
Many trade caravans leave Cathay from Zhao’s domain, and particularly to and from the mighty city of Shang-Yang – seen as a gateway to the West – and should they be successful he will reap the wealth and prestige. Which is particularly important to the Iron Dragon as he is not as beloved by his father as his older sister, although rumours say the Moon Empress has a soft spot for her son.[sup][6][/sup]
Zhao Ming is a natural born warrior, though less innately skilled than his sister to the North. He is a talented alchemist and shows great preference for the art among his armies, leading to the presence of sorcerous cabals of Metal Wizards in Zhao Ming's realm – much to the chagrin of those that find the insidious magics worrying for the empire,[sup][2][/sup][sup][4][/sup] such as the Jade Dragon, who sees the encouragement of sorcerous organizations outside of the Celestial Court as dangerous to the empire. These sorcerers help the Iron Dragon in his experiments, and many magical weapons and armour are forged in the Dragon’s cities.[sup][6][/sup]
These cabals use the city of Shang-Yang as a base for their expeditions into the Warpstone Desert – some never return. Others come back loaded with exotic ores that end up in the forges, with the Iron Dragon as enthusiastic as any of the other Alchemists to begin experimenting. Zhao Ming is as skilled an artisan as those drawn to him since he has had a Dragon’s lifespan to perfect such expertise and research the mysteries of arcane metallurgy.[sup][6][/sup]
The strange elements found in the Warpstone Desert have only deepened Zhao’s fascination and understanding of alchemy but also many fear his mind is permanently damaged from the exposure, and any eccentricities or erratic behaviour he displays is very worrying to his siblings.[sup][2][/sup][sup][4][/sup] While the other Dragons are cold-blooded and detached from the mortals they rule, the Iron Dragon will share a jape, or even a drink with his followers. Such mortal behaviour inspires loyalty within his legions but makes him stand apart from his kin.[sup][6][/sup]
This makes him a far more gregarious character than his eldest sister, Miao Ying, and gets especially offended by her aloofness.[sup][5][/sup] In any case, even if his siblings look upon him with suspicion, the Moon Empress is very fond of her son and will shield him from ire when the family assemblies become less than harmonic.[sup][6][/sup]
Trivia
  • [li]In Chinese, the Iron Dragon's name is written with the characters 昭 (Zhāo - "Dawn; to make clear/illuminate") and 明 (Míng - "Brightness"), which can be translated as "Dawn's Brightness" or "Illuminating Light".[sup][3][/sup][/li]
Gallery Zhao Ming in his Iron Dragon form.[sup][4][/sup] Sources