Feedback

Talk about anything
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Chuck wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 am
totsuzenheni wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:51 am The 'new post(s)' icon is useful, so please do keep that.
What do you know, removing topic icons removed the new post icon. Can't have that!
Now i've noticed the post icons when replying i can't say i'm a fan of them either, given that they are entirely up to the poster and so somewhat arbitary, but i can live with them. The travails of running a forum.
CapnZapp

I noticed the new subforum. I hope posting house rules in specific subforums is still allowed, since these are by nature edition specific.
Paco

Chuck wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm Good idea! What sites should be included?
I have a list of sites too at:

https://pacomiscelaneousstuff.blogspot. ... world.html

As I'm going to copy the ones you have missing in my blogpost, it will be fair for you to copy the ones missing in your list.
CapnZapp

Chuck wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:42 amI'll look into changing the "Home" link. It's been a while since I've gotten inside the code of a phpbb forum, so no promises.
Thx!
CapnZapp

Chuck wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 am What do you know, removing topic icons removed the new post icon. Can't have that!
As I see it, the problem with the topic icons is that they're small images crudely expanded. Which looks butt ugly.

(Edit: post icons as opposed to thread icons aren't expanded, so the "radioactive icon" I chose for this post looks reasonable. We're discussing the enlarged original post icons used for the forum post lists)

Maybe a solution would be not to disable icons in settings as you have tried, but instead disable our ability to choose icons (on the create thread page). I mean, if the ability to change the default "none" choice was removed, I imagine the problem would just go away. I imagine something like this* would have to be changed in the code to make the icon choice line disappear: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13705221

Another way might be to simply replace the actual icon files (in your forum software installation directory) with "empty" icons. (That is, squares filled with whatever colour that registers as "transparent") You would still have the "Post Icon: choice" but you couldn't choose anything that actually shows up.

A third way is of course to have better-looking (=higher-resolution) icon pics ;)

*) Of course, I know nothing about phpbb coding or even if you have the same version so please feel free to disregard.
igest

Hi, I'm new and I was waiting to see many "forums" unread, but there seems to bee all read, even when I have just started here now. Why is this happening??? this happens only to me??
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

I think the forum tracks "unread since last visit." Hopefully it works for you going forward?
CapnZapp

Quite spiffy and chaotic astrological constellations you've got going there, Chuck!
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Thanks, I like this style much better than the previous one.
Karanthir

Would it be possible to get a spoiler tag? I never know how much I can/should say in threads where potential players of campaigns being discussed might be reading. (I mean, they could just read what's in the spoilered text anyway, but it's the thought that counts.)
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

I will look into it!
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

Is this what you're after?
Spoiler
Rosebud
Karanthir

That's more or less just what I had in mind, thanks. The only slight issue is it works fine for separate paragraphs, but doesn't really work for popping a spoiler into a sentence

E.g. Testing to see how
Spoiler
spoiler tags
work in the middle of a sentence.
CapnZapp

Some (but far from all) forums support both SPOILER and SBLOCK tags.

(The tag discussed above looks much like a SBLOCK tag to me. A SPOILER tag would work much like a bold or italics tag - with no line breaks or paragraphing formatting - and thus be more suitable for hiding individual words in a sentence)
CapnZapp

Experimenting...
title
text
Yep, you can set a "title" to explain what clicking "show" would reveal, i.e. replacing the word "spoiler" (quote me to see the syntax).

[sblock]sblock[/sblock]

Nope

[hide]hidden[/hide]

Nope

I did a quick scan of the phpbb forum, but couldn't immediately find any discussion that distinguished between "inline" and "block" spoilers...
CapnZapp

Chuck wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 am Thanks, I like this style much better than the previous one.
I gotta ask (nitpick mode alert!) - why does the stars "stick" to my mouse cursor... but only above/beneath the Winds of Chaos logo (and not in the main space "to the right" of said logo) :geek:
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

CapnZapp wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 am I gotta ask (nitpick mode alert!) - why does the stars "stick" to my mouse cursor... but only above/beneath the Winds of Chaos logo (and not in the main space "to the right" of said logo) :geek:
Tzeentch works in mysterious ways ...
CapnZapp

I am sorry to be the bearer of more not-positive feedback but the thread icons are really unintuitive and also osbcured by thread icons.

The default thread icon is(?) a minus sign. I believe that means "no unread posts" as opposed to a green check mark. But in subforums with no new posts, that minus sign is really unintuitive: doesn't a minus signal a locked thread?

Then you have the "circling planets". Are they supposed to signal you have posted in the thread (the first post and subsequent posts respectively)? Sorry but that makes no sense and I can understand that only by comparing various threads - there is nothing in the visual representation that gives me a hint.

Finally, if a thread starter chooses a thread icon, this overlays this information almost completely.

I must say something went wrong here. I imagine most other forum skins would convey this info in a better way.

I should also say this is of course minutae. You are still my hero for setting up this forum at all :)
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

CapnZapp wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:41 am I am sorry to be the bearer of more not-positive feedback but the thread icons are really unintuitive and also osbcured by thread icons.

The default thread icon is(?) a minus sign. I believe that means "no unread posts" as opposed to a green check mark. But in subforums with no new posts, that minus sign is really unintuitive: doesn't a minus signal a locked thread?
I didn't find this unintuitive.
CapnZapp wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:41 amThen you have the "circling planets". Are they supposed to signal you have posted in the thread (the first post and subsequent posts respectively)? Sorry but that makes no sense and I can understand that only by comparing various threads - there is nothing in the visual representation that gives me a hint.
I don't know what these mean either.
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

There may be standalone thread icon packs for phpBB to replace the ones that came with the skin, I'm not sure. If anyone could point me to some, I'd be happy to try them out.