Wizard(new players)

The enemy lurks in shadows
Zae

Hi!,

We are a couple of friends that are starting with foundry and Warhammer roleplay 4th edition.

My GM is also new, so we have several questions.

I decided to go for a wizard but honestly seem everything is extra complex or rules do not specify as much as they should at least in my opinion so I will throw all my questions here hope that someone is willing to give us answers:D

1.If I don't have the talent just yet how many petty magic spells do I know by heart? I guess none, so I will cast them from the grimoire (my GM decided to give me a few spells via Lore and personal small story from my master) if I cast them from the grimoire i guess difficulty still remains as 0? Since at some point on the rules it states that if you don't know the spell by heart you cast it at difficulty *2, so I guess 0/*2 is 0 right?

2.Whats the point of memorizing petty magic then? Can someone also explain the petty magic talent to me? Why should I take it? Does it grant free spells equal to my bonus just right a way or i have to pay for the spells anyway?

3.How do I learn other tricks from petty magic or in general, how do you learn new spells? Or is just up to the GM to let me discover/ learn new ones? And to note them on my grimoire? for the more advanced spells do i get to choose? or is always the GM choosing what you can learn or not? i find this very confusing in general ( in all kind of spells)

4.Any tutorial or video or link some how that explains how spells and magic works its kind of chaotic in my opinion.

5.I have read here that some people use dart to just build up advantage and then cast major spells, can you explain me the mechanics of that in deep? How is such a small spell so useful?(also how it even does damage ?)

6.Any advice for building/playing up my wizard in a some sort of useful way so i can be helpfull for my party? i want to be a pyromancer but i feel that it will be a long long way before i can even cast one of those spells :D

Thanks!
Orin J.

1: without a talent that gives you spells, you have no spells. petty spells are learned without a grimore (effectively training exercises, i guesses) and do not need to be consulted over.

2: you automatically get the WP bonus in petty magic spells when you take the talent, as opposed to arcane spells which you have to pursue for more XP once you've bought the talent. additionally they're all CN:0 which means that they're very safe to cast and provide the deepest toolbox for wizards when not dealing with combat.

3: petty magic is learned just by practicing magic. arcane spells require a grimore or teacher with the spell. both require spending XP to learn new spells. understandably, arcane spells can provide the GM with a lot of pull to get the group to do something. the talents are listed in the rulebook, and have their formulae for calculating the cost of each new spell. all of them work off your willpower bonus, generally as a "within the inital WP bonus number of spells, first cost bracket, up to twice WP costs at the second bracket-" ect. to head a queston in the future off, if you improve your willpower enough to raise the bonus, you calculate at the new rate but do not get any cost refunded.

5:dart is a 0-cost cast so it can be successfully done without channeling, and is a magic missile so doesn't miss. cast a few times to build advantage form the successful hits, then turn that into whatever.

6:a good wizard is a clever wizard. look at your skill and spell toolbox for what you can do that the party either cannot do or woudl not otherwise do without your advantage.
Last edited by Orin J. on Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zae

Orin J. wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:02 pm 1: without a talent that gives you spells, you have no spells. petty spells are learned without a grimore (effectively training exercises, i guesses) and do not need to be consulted over.

2: you automatically get the WP bonus in petty magic spells when you take the talent, as opposed to arcane spells which you have to pursue for more XP once you've bought the talent. additionally they're all CN:0 which means that they're very safe to cast and provide the deepest toolbox for wizards when not dealing with combat.

3: petty magic is learned just by practicing magic. arcane spells require a grimore or teacher with the spell. both require spending XP to learn new spells. understandably, arcane spells can provide the GM with a lot of pull to get the group to do something. the talents are listed in the rulebook, and have their formulae for calculating the cost of each new spell. all of them work off your willpower bonus, generally as a "withing the inital WP bonus number of spells, first cost bracket, up to twice WP costs at the second bracket-f ect. to head a queston in the future off, if you improve your willpower enough to raise the bonus, you calculate at the new rate but do not get any cost refunded.

5:dart is a 0-cost cast so it can be successfully done without channeling, and is a magic missile so doesn't miss. cast a few times to build advantage form the successful hits, then turn that into whatever.

6:a good wizard is a clever wizard. look at your skill and spell toolbox for what you can do that the party either cannot do or woudl not otherwise do without your advantage.

Thanks for your reply!
Whymme

When you say 'new players', is that new to RPGs or new to WFRP?

If you're new to roleplaying in general, you might want to consider playing something else than a wizard. Magic is just a set of extra rules to remember - for you as well as for the GM - and unlike some other games, in WFRP you can have a perfectly good adventuring group without a mage.

Another thing is that in the Warhammer RPG setting, wizards are generally feared and distrusted. Because magic is linked to Chaos, which are the forces that try to destroy mankind (and elfenkind, and dwarfkind, and so on). So next to extra rules to learn there is a roleplaying challenge as well.
Tristelune

Orin J. wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:02 pm 5:dart is a 0-cost cast so it can be successfully done without channeling, and is a magic missile so doesn't miss. cast a few times to build advantage form the successful hits, then turn that into whatever.
Unless I missed something important, you don't build advantage by casting magic missile, since there is no opposition (well, that is, in the majority of situations. If another wizard actively try to counter your spell, you could build advantage).

Rules for building advantage are p164, and merely casting spell is not part of it (on a side not, firing bow/crossbow/etc. doesn't build advantage either unless the target try to parry/dodge, which usually require a shield).
Orin J.

as you said, it's page 164. the last bullet point states "if you wound an opponent without engaging in an Opposed Test, gain +1 Advantage." both mundane and magical projectiles fall under this rule.
Tristelune

That's damn correct. Thank you for pointing this out for me. It looks like my group and I had it wrong for some time.