Monster/Enemy NPC combat actionz

The enemy lurks in shadows
ForeverDMtillTheEnd

Hello all! I've just recently bought the wfrp 4e basic rule book and I've been reading through it the past couples days, and the use of enemy actions in combat has kind of stumped me. In the bestiary, it says that a monster/baddies damage is already calculated in its rating, but i haven't been able to find a rating in any of the statblocks in the back of the book. Not to mention, how to I know what the attacks are? There's no actions listed in the blocks, so I'm guessing I either have to give them a random weapon or use the traits from their descriptions? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
Ayantis

Adversaries in the Bestiary have one Move, one Action and Free Actions at their disposal, similar to the PCs.
They can Charge, Attack, disangage, use Deathblow etc. up to what the GM chooses.
They can also activate Free attacks by spending Advantage via traits such as Horns , Bite, Breath, Vomit etc.

If you consider attacking via an Action the NPC and monsters typicially use the Weapon trait or if they have a Melee Skill, and an appropiate Weapon type listed in their profile.
The Weapon trait is listed as Weapon +X where X includes SB and damage from the weapon. You just need to add the SL of the opposed test when scoring a hit in order to calculate damage, eventually multiplied by Size and other bonuses.

They can also use traits such as Bite +X, Horns +X, Breath, which require Advantage to spend. That a Free attack, resolved as normal (it is opposed, and the hit is scored if the opposed test is won).

Don’t forget about Size rule and related Deathblow, disangage and free Stomp attack. You should check the Size trait.
This is accessible if the monster is of a different size than PCs.
ForeverDMtillTheEnd

Ayantis wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:45 pm Adversaries in the Bestiary have one Move, one Action and Free Actions at their disposal, similar to the PCs.
They can Charge, Attack, disangage, use Deathblow etc. up to what the GM chooses.
They can also activate Free attacks by spending Advantage via traits such as Horns , Bite, Breath, Vomit etc.

If you consider attacking via an Action the NPC and monsters typicially use the Weapon trait or if they have a Melee Skill, and an appropiate Weapon type listed in their profile.
The Weapon trait is listed as Weapon +X where X includes SB and damage from the weapon. You just need to add the SL of the opposed test when scoring a hit in order to calculate damage, eventually multiplied by Size and other bonuses.

They can also use traits such as Bite +X, Horns +X, Breath, which require Advantage to spend. That a Free attack, resolved as normal (it is opposed, and the hit is scored if the opposed test is won).

Don’t forget about Size rule and related Deathblow, disangage and free Stomp attack. You should check the Size trait.
This is accessible if the monster is of a different size than PCs.
So, say an orc for example, their weapon bonus is +8, and that's the damage they automatically do? No matter the weapon they have?
Visitor Q

To clarify the damage they use is based on an assumption of the weapon they use. Generally this is a hand weapon so SB+4. Hence an Orc is +8. This then allows a GM to add weapon qualities or different weapon strengths to the NPCs.

HOWEVER I would strongly advise not worrying too much about the process of how you come to the plus modifier to weapon damage. Just give a weapon damage that is plausible and provides a decent challenge to the PCs.
adambeyoncelowe

Weapon (+X) is the same as (SB+X). From their listed Strength and the image or description, you can usually work out what they're supposed to have. So if the Orc has SB 4 and has Weapon (+8), you can assume they have a Hand Weapon. If their Strength increases (and hence, their SB), you can raise the Weapon Trait too (e.g., if SB becomes 5, it'll be Weapon (+9) instead).