4e Ingredients for Petty Magic

The enemy lurks in shadows
FitFitNitMin

In the 4e rules it states that "ingredients cost the CN in silver for Arcane and Lore spells". My elf wizard player has taken that to mean that ingredients for petty magic spells (ie CN 0) are therefore worthless/free and has stocked up on a big bag of them meaning he never miscasts.

Is this right and doesn't say anywhere that ingredients cant be used with Petty magic spells?
Ayantis

Next time he rolls a double on the Casting test, tell him that the ingredient didn’t work, it was not consumed, and then proceed rolling on the Miscast Table.

Petty Spells do not require ingredients.
Hyarion

I would just say that you can't use Ingredients for Petty Magic since Petty spells are too general for specific ingredients, or to put it another way "you get what you pay for" ;).
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
FitFitNitMin

Thanks, was thinking the same as surely if ingredients could be used for Petty magic it would give them a price
Orin J.

Hyarion wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm I would just say that you can't use Ingredients for Petty Magic since Petty spells are too general for specific ingredients, or to put it another way "you get what you pay for" ;).
And you would be right to say it since petty magic is not considered part of any school of magic, which bars it from using ingredients for that's school's spells unlike arcane spells which are considered to belong to all schools of magic.

EDIT: this actually could be a fun thing to reveal in-game, explaning that rule exception once it comes up and then pointing out that wizards are not exempt from being tricked by the peddlers if he complains about his big bag of useless junk.
adambeyoncelowe

Yeah, Petty Magic doesn't use ingredients. Oops!