Channeling and Moving

The enemy lurks in shadows
Marty_Jopson

Is there any reason a wizard could not take a move and make a channeling roll in the same round?

If yes, then could a wizard start channeling before he went into - oh I don’t know - a mine full of goblins maybe? Then when they encountered their foe be ready to cast immediately.

Also what happens if you just keep channeling beyond the level you need? Can you over channel? Clearly you risk a fumble or a critical, but it does not indicate any special benefit or danger.

Asking for a friend 😉
Orin J.

you can't really abstractly channel- you have to channel towards a casting cost, then cast the spell when you hit the casting number. once you match the casting number to make your casting roll and add the channeling result to it. if it fails there's an automatic miscast from the channeled magic.

so you need to
-Have a spell selected to channel
-Cast the spell when channeling is matched
-be measuring the time passed in terms of rounds
to use channeling in the current edition.

so not the clever trick you thought it might be.
SigmariteOrWrong

Undoubtedly the Masters of the Magical Colleges are looking at ways a mage might SAFELY channel and store magic in an item for use at the opportune time. Rest assured, if any headway has been made on this front only the highest ranking mages would have access to such items.
Shambler

I had a similar question some time ago: my not so mighty wizard had to move down a floor and through an open door. The distance was well within my move rate. I knew what spell I wanted to cast once I had reached the CN (unlikely to have been reached with one casting test). I don't remember how our GM ruled but the question remains: can you move and channel in the same round? E.g. just to close the distance to your target? Or even to flee (at a normal move rate) and still prepare a spell to flint at the pursuing enemy (or to protect yourself)?

I think our GM did not allow it or imposed a penalty but I am not convinced that the rules forbid it. Since Channeling is already a weak option I don't think it's necessary to make it even harder.

So, what do you think?
Hyarion

Here's how I ruled the issue when it came up with my group.

1) When you start channeling, you must state what you are channeling towards (IE Shroud of Invisibility) and may not change what spell you are casting. Essentially, you are not *just* drawing in the winds of magic, you are casting the spell over a long enough time to draw in sufficient winds to power the spell.

2) Once you start channeling, you may move (at half walking speed and may not run), but will fail any test you are required to take (agility, stealth, perception, etc) as you are focused on the winds not on your surroundings.

3) Once you start channeling, you must either continue to channel, cast the spell, or safely release the winds (a base channeling test).
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
adambeyoncelowe

If it helps, I've created an Action Points system to address this exact sort of issue: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z6U ... p=drivesdk

You can Walk, Channel and cast a Petty Spell, or Run and cast a Petty Spell, or Walk and cast an Arcane Spell, all in one turn with this system.

The way I see it: if everyone can Run without penalty *and* take an Action, it seems like those who just Walk are losing out. So they should be able to do something extra to make up for it. Also, Free Actions are a bit too 'let's wing it!' for me.

My view, though, is that even in the RAW, Channelling only uses your Action, so you can still Walk or even Run before doing so. There's absolutely no reason why you should get a penalty on Channelling if you move, as you would move and then Channel, as discrete actions, rather than doing both at the same time.

Remember that a combat Round is usually about 10 seconds, so that's plenty of time to move and focus on your mojo without one impacting on the other.

I am generous enough that I would probably let you Channel twice if you didn't move at all in your turn, too. After all, Channelling already sucks.
Shambler

I like what you're saying :-).