Parry question

The enemy lurks in shadows
yoroba

Another question, this time regarding parry:

If my players are in unarmed combat, do they still use the "parry" skill to defend? Or do they use the "brawling" skill to defend?

I.E. it sounds a little strange that my sword- weilding players can train parrying skills for 10 years, and then get same bonus to parry with a quarter staff. Even though they've never used one before... Am I reading the rules wrong?
Ayantis

there is no „parry” skill in 4e.
in the unarmed combat PC / NPC use Melee (Brawling) or test WS if they don’t have the skill
And yes they can „parry” or rather defend against attacks.

A character can make a defensive test or what you call „parry” in the opposed Melee test using whatever Melee skill he has, and the associated with that skill weapon.
Preferably choosing his highest Melee skill.

No need to have Melee (Parry) skill to be able to „parry”.

And in your example if that swordman does not have Melee (Polearm) he won’t be able to use any of the Quarter staff Qualities such as Pummel or Defensive. He would be better using sword and perhaps a shield to defend himself.
Orin J.

Melee (parry) doesn't refer to the act of parrying in the current edition, but a class of weapons focused on being used for parries. If you do not have the skill the only issue is you don't get any bonuses for using that class of weapons. any defensive melee test is effectively a parry and operates based on the melee skill relevant to your weapon.
yoroba

Makes sense. Thanks again guys :-)
Hobnail

Keep in mind, if its being used in the 2nd hand without the appropriate talent there is a penalty applied. Even in the case of a shield. The skill Melee Parry removes this negative for shields.
Orin J.

Hobnail wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:20 pm Keep in mind, if its being used in the 2nd hand without the appropriate talent there is a penalty applied. Even in the case of a shield. The skill Melee Parry removes this negative for shields.
to clarify what he said, there's a penalty for using a weapon in your off-hand, and using a weapon with the Defensive quality (such as a shield) with the Melee(Parry) skill allows you to Defend against an attack without suffering the off-hand penalty.

the flaws of the shield (Undamaging for starters) still fully apply.