4th ed. combat question - Fighting several opponents

The enemy lurks in shadows
yoroba

I can't figure out how to properly have my players fight several opponents at once.

In 1st it was simple, but in 4th with opposed tests... Is it possible to damage two opponents in one turn? Or just one?
How do you do this properly? (Is there a step by step tutorial available somewhere?).
Orin J.

okay, the first thing you need to do is understand: this is going to be messy, the system just doesn't actually think this through.

your first option is to home for counterattack damage when defending, either by crits or using the Riposte skill with a Fast weapon.

the second option is using feats like Furious Assault or Reaction Strike (only when charged) to gain bonus attacks out of the action sequence.

the third and final option is to gain frenzy somehow, which gives you a bonus attack action.

all of these have pretty strict limitations and are unreliable but that's it.
yoroba

How would I go about it, step by step?
Orin J.

for the player trying to use multiple attacks: run it like a normal turn, then if you are able to trigger the other attack, conduct the second attack as part of the same action during your turn if not required to take it otherwise as the conditions of the bonus attack. since the system is built for you only using one attack per turn, you have to generally conduct other attacks as part of your first attack. you have no way to stagger your attacks for different points in time except where you are only able to take them as a reaction to someone else's action.

for the character being targeted by multiple attacks: defend against each attack normally. you do not suffer a penalty for defending against multiple attacks per turn, merely multiple sources of attacks.

in short, multiple attacks are the same as a single attack except you have to do much more bookkeeping for your attack action.
yoroba

Thank you very much, Orin. This really helps :-)