WFRP4 Dodge - When, How, and Why?

The enemy lurks in shadows
alessandro120679

Hi,
I've read many times the combat rules but it isn't clear how to dodge works.
When I'm opposing a Combat Test can I use Dodge skill number instead that Weapon Skill characteristic?

And if I use Dodge instead of attack can I Dodge every single following attack with a +20 bonus?
On page 158 the Rulebook says different things, the printed copy says that I have a +20 to all defensive Tests until the next Turn.
My PDF says that my character just Dodge the Attack but I don't understand the consequences (if consequences are contemplated).

Please help me, probably is just more simple than I think but I'm really in Stunned condition about this skill ;-)
Thanks!
adambeyoncelowe

Usually you can use Dodge instead of Melee in any opposed Melee Test. There's no bonus to this roll unless you have a shield or Talent (or Advantage), but it does not use up your usual turn. That means you can still defend every attack that comes at you, and still take a turn to attack, run away, or whatever else you want to do.

However, if you decide to use your turn to go 'full defensive', you get +20 on all Dodge rolls for that round (in addition to any other bonuses). This is significantly better if you're bad in combat but have high Agility/Dodge.

Either way, dodging reduces your attacker's SLs on a one-for-one basis. This means, if you score more SLs, your enemy will miss. Even if you don't roll more SLs, though, you're reducing the total damage he does.
Orin J.

the main consequence for using dodge is that you don't have a chance to inflict damage if you win the opposed melee, which is huge. however there's always the possibility that the opponent has a way to reduce your melee, in which case dodge is a good thing to have trained.
adambeyoncelowe

Orin J. is right. Additionally, when fighting larger opponents, Melee Tests take a -2SL penalty for each step up in size they are. Dodge doesn't carry that same penalty.
CommanderCax

"On The Defensive" is an Optional Rule. It consumes your Action, but you can choose a Skill to use defensively and you will get +20 to defensive Tests using the Skill until the start of your next Turn. It is not restricted to the Dodge Skill though, you can also chose Melee (Whatever).
Besides using it against creatures with Size (Larger than you), it also can make sense against Weapons with the Wrap and/or Fast Quality, as these modify opposing Melee tests, but not Dodge tests.
Undershaft

Orin J. wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:12 am the main consequence for using dodge is that you don't have a chance to inflict damage if you win the opposed melee, which is huge. however there's always the possibility that the opponent has a way to reduce your melee, in which case dodge is a good thing to have trained.
As far as I understand it, you winning the opposed melee roll as the defender doesn't let you damage your opponent. The only way the defender can inflict damage on the attacker is when the defender rolls a critical hit, regardless of winning or losing the opposed melee.
Orin J.

Undershaft wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:33 pm
Orin J. wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:12 am the main consequence for using dodge is that you don't have a chance to inflict damage if you win the opposed melee, which is huge. however there's always the possibility that the opponent has a way to reduce your melee, in which case dodge is a good thing to have trained.
As far as I understand it, you winning the opposed melee roll as the defender doesn't let you damage your opponent. The only way the defender can inflict damage on the attacker is when the defender rolls a critical hit, regardless of winning or losing the opposed melee.
incorrect, in an opposed roll you can land a critical and still fail to defend (or succeed in defending but still fumble) as you can pass or fail the actual roll itself without also passing/failing the opposed test due to the opposed roll being able to succeed or fail by a larger margin than you.

example, you and your opponent are both using melee. you roll a collective +1SL to defend, having passed your melee roll and rolled doubles, while your opponent passes his roll to attack as well, rolling a collective +2SLs but without having rolled doubles. you inflict an immediate critical (resetting any advantage), then the results of combat is resolved and he inflicts his damage, ending with you taking damage (resetting your advantage) and him gaining 1 advantage.
Orin J.

Orin J. wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:30 pm
Undershaft wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:33 pm
correct, in an opposed roll you can land a critical and still fail to defend (or succeed in defending but still fumble) as you can pass or fail the actual roll itself without also passing/failing the opposed test due to the opposed roll being able to succeed or fail by a larger margin than you.

example, you and your opponent are both using melee. you roll a collective +1SL to defend, having passed your melee roll and rolled doubles, while your opponent passes his roll to attack as well, rolling a collective +2SLs but without having rolled doubles. you inflict an immediate critical (resetting any advantage), then the results of combat is resolved and he inflicts his damage, ending with you taking damage (resetting your advantage) and him gaining 1 advantage.