Totally 'Ammered: An attempt at converting Runes to 4e

The enemy lurks in shadows
adambeyoncelowe

I've had a go at converting Runes and the Runesmith Career to 4e. I'd appreciate any feedback on it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PGV ... p=drivesdk

The systems should be about as complex as 2e but the effects may be a bit beefier. Do they work, though? I'm not sure how balanced theu are. Any tips?
Orin J.

i don't think balance matters too much (this edition is something of a mess already) but lorewise i do have a couple nitpicks.

Firstly is you've made learning runes comparatively dirt easy in contrast to the lore. to an extent this is unavoidable (dwarfs spend decades as an apprentice before going out into the world and even then some of them never learn any runes during that time!) but i feel like you could lampshade it better than "rune scrolls" by having the player using an endevour to "understand the master's lessons" in learning a rune. i'd also probably not let them make temporary master runes, they're far too precious!

the other thing is dwarfs are mentioned a lot as being able to spot runic items at a glance, like, almost any dwarf. i'd probably re work it for spotting hidden runecraft and determining the powers and true owners of a rune weapon, as well as limitations (some only work for one family bloodline, some only work during avenging a grudge, ect).

anyways, good to know someone else is working on runescribing besides my aborted work. have fun with it!
adambeyoncelowe

Orin J. wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:04 pm i don't think balance matters too much (this edition is something of a mess already) but lorewise i do have a couple nitpicks.

Firstly is you've made learning runes comparatively dirt easy in contrast to the lore. to an extent this is unavoidable (dwarfs spend decades as an apprentice before going out into the world and even then some of them never learn any runes during that time!) but i feel like you could lampshade it better than "rune scrolls" by having the player using an endevour to "understand the master's lessons" in learning a rune. i'd also probably not let them make temporary master runes, they're far too precious!

the other thing is dwarfs are mentioned a lot as being able to spot runic items at a glance, like, almost any dwarf. i'd probably re work it for spotting hidden runecraft and determining the powers and true owners of a rune weapon, as well as limitations (some only work for one family bloodline, some only work during avenging a grudge, ect).

anyways, good to know someone else is working on runescribing besides my aborted work. have fun with it!
Very helpful. Thank you. I think I'll drop temp Master Runes, as you suggest.

The easiest Minor Runes just give you Item and Weapon Qualities, so I didn't want those to be too gruelling. However, the Major Runes are quite a bit better, so I am considering a different process for them. In 1e, they had mythical ingredients, which would create plot points. I may bring those back for some added story hooks.

1e also had three tiers: level 1, level 2 and level 3. I'm considering whether that's a better idea or not. There's a big jump between the 12-18 Master runes and those in the 25-30 region.

The two 4e Runesmithing updates I've seen both had Runes created in an Endeavour, but there was a third that had them take months. My only real gripe was how realistic it would be for a Runesmith player disappearing for a season or two to make a Rune that did the same thing a Wizard could do with three turns of channelling.

I think if I can make the hunting for ingredients a group thing, then that potentially becomes a much better idea, since everyone can get involved. Then the Runes do become much harder to produce but it's more interesting than "you spend six months in your workshop, and now roll..."

What do you think?
adambeyoncelowe

How do we feel about 'sealing' spells with Fortune or Resilience Points? I'm just wondering if I can make it more interesting than a series of rolls.
easl

adambeyoncelowe wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:49 am How do we feel about 'sealing' spells with Fortune or Resilience Points? I'm just wondering if I can make it more interesting than a series of rolls.
I think giving up a Resilience point is a ready-made mechanic for introducing "permanent" magical effects. It's expensive enough that you won't have a lot of them but doesn't make such items completely out of PC reach. That, plus a relevant career-3 or career-4 talent and a couple endeavor-based skill rolls would probably do nicely.

But, it's up to the GM. It certainly adds more magic to the setting.
adambeyoncelowe

easl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:01 am
adambeyoncelowe wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:49 am How do we feel about 'sealing' spells with Fortune or Resilience Points? I'm just wondering if I can make it more interesting than a series of rolls.
I think giving up a Resilience point is a ready-made mechanic for introducing "permanent" magical effects. It's expensive enough that you won't have a lot of them but doesn't make such items completely out of PC reach. That, plus a relevant career-3 or career-4 talent and a couple endeavor-based skill rolls would probably do nicely.

But, it's up to the GM. It certainly adds more magic to the setting.
Great. I currently have two rolls for Inscription (Trade (Runesmithing)) and Empowerment (Canny), requiring an Endeavour. I think a Resilience Point will make them a bit more scarce and dissuade people from making new Runes every Endeavour.