Human (Strigany) Background 4th Ed.

The enemy lurks in shadows
SigmariteOrWrong

Trying to work out at River Strigany background for Character Generation, and think I've settled on this .

Human (River Strigany) Species Skills and Talents
Skills: Charm, Cool, Evaluate, Gossip, Haggle, Sail, Lore (Strigany), Row, Melee (Basic), Swim
Talents: Strigany, Savvy or Suave, 3 Random Talents

Strigany Talent: -1SL penanty on Fel tests with Imperials because of prejudices against Strigany. You may receive a less hostile reaction from intelligent Undead, who seem to recognise these once faithful servants as possibly useful. Language (Strigany) is considered a career skill for you.

I'd appreciate feedback and suggestions.

I wasn't sure about dropping Doomed as a Talent, but I'm not sure how the Strigany and the Priesthood or Morr get along, not how readily accepted the quite hated Strigany are by the general population to get involved with them. I thought Dropping Doomed and giving them an appropriate Heritage trait would be fine, adding the language as Career skill to give them something to balance out the -1SL Fel penalty. I was also considering giving them the Lore (Strigany) as part of that Talent, but backed away from that a little.
SigmariteOrWrong

Other options I was toying with

To allow anyone with a Riverfolk Class, or the Mystic Career, could choose River Strigany as an option if they like, swapping out their doom for the Strigany Background.

To allow a Strigany Character access to a Doomed style XP bonus if they were killed because of some racist attack, or succumbed to some undeaad threat.
Orin J.

i'd personally replace "Savvy or Suave" with "Beneath notice or Cat-Tongued". and MAYBE replace cool with gambling or entertainer of some kind. they are after all a cowardly and superstitious lot....
SigmariteOrWrong

"I've heard Vampires travel around so easily because those filthy gypsies, the Strigany, shelter them in their caravans. I wouldn't put it past 'em. They're horse thieves and adulterers, and they all reek of cabbage. It's a short walk from there to harbouring the Undead if you ask me."
—Azmus Pacher, horse trader

Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2nd ED -- Night's Dark Masters pg. 10
Orin J. wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:46 pm i'd personally replace "Savvy or Suave" with "Beneath notice or Cat-Tongued". and MAYBE replace cool with gambling or entertainer of some kind. they are after all a cowardly and superstitious lot....
I'm not sure about Beneath Notice, as good Reiklanders definitely clench their valuables in the presence of Strigany. However, they pretty much consider the Strigany beneath them, so it *might* fit in that sense.
Cat-Tongued is similarly, a bit iffy when compared with Reiklander opinions of them.

Carouser might work, as it gives them a bonus when folk are in their cups, and try adding Consume Alcohol as a Starting skill instead of Melee (Basic), as they are not renowned fighters, and would be soundly beaten by any community where they started a fight with a local. It suits the idea that many make a living in entertainment too, and have an easier time dealing with folks who are already happy.

I'd definitely keep Cool, as it suits their self opinion as a long suffering people.
SigmariteOrWrong

For the moment we've settled on this...

Human (River Strigany) Species Skills and Talents list
Skills: Charm, Cool, Evaluate, Gossip, Haggle, Drive or Sail, Lore (Strigany) or Lore (Riverways), Language (Strigany), Athletics or Row, Melee (Basic) or Swim
Talents: Strigany, Carouser or Cat-Tongued, 3 Random Talents

Strigany Talent: -1SL penanty on all Fel tests with most human peoples of the Old World, because of prejudices views of the Strigany as servants of Undead, Norse and Kislevites less so than others. You are unlikely to be trusted in positions of responsibility by many folk in the Old World, and likely distrusted by parochial locals, first to be blamed for unusual goings on and thefts. Language (Strigany) and Lore (Strigany) are considered career skills for you. You're welcomed to sit for a meal with any Strigany you might meet in your travels, and expected to contribute to the pot if able.

We'll allow Human PC's who've rolled careers on the following list to elect to take the Strigany heritage instead of Reiklander if the player wishes.
Strigany Careers: Artisan, Artist, Spy, Hedge Witch, Herbalist, Mystic, Entertainer, Messenger, Pedlar, Boatman, Huffer, Riverwoman, Seaman, Smuggler, Stevedore, Bawd, Charlatan, Fence, Grave Robber, Outlaw, Racketeer, Thief, Witch, Protagonist