WHFR 4e - Are Wizards playable?

The enemy lurks in shadows
Leith

Does anyone care that Dart is illegal in the Empire?
adambeyoncelowe

Leith wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:44 pm Does anyone care that Dart is illegal in the Empire?
Probably not if you're on the same side. If you Overcast it, you may be able to pretend it's Bolt instead, though.
Orin J.

Leith wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:44 pm Does anyone care that Dart is illegal in the Empire?
if you're an imperial wizard, clearly you're using sanctioned magic. i mean to identify that a spell isn't part of the repitour approved by the colleges of magic would require them to have studied wizardry outside of the approved colleges of magic and certainly no witch hunter, let along a mere peasant would admit to that.....
Llewelyn

I hope no one is going to report me to the Witch Hunters for the necromancy of this thread.

I have to say I really like the Magic Points system Cap. It helps with the problem in an elegant way. I ended up creating magic items that had bonus SL that could be used in casting (basically MPs) for the wizard in my campaign, that recharged daily. Wish I would have read this thread sooner. Now the wizard doesn't really need any MP, but I do like the idea of their use as there doesn't seem to be any limit on the sheer number of spells they can pump out. The miscast doesn't seem to happen enough to actually deter prolific casting of spells.

One thing I did change in my spells is the over casting SL is either used to increase damage or hit additional targets. I have also modified a number of spells to entice the casting of more powerful spells of the lore.

After a long running campaign it is my view that the wizard is the most powerful character in the party, but a lot of that is more because of the healing then the sheer damage output, which is still pretty powerful. I have tweaked a few other things as how spells are resisted, making them less powerful over all but they still can be devastating.

Just like any game system I play these days I have heavily modified 4E.
legion

Orin J. wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:22 pm advantage is something that deserves (and has) its own thread or two, but leadership is a possible issue- the wizard can channel for a few turns while someone else builds advantage, and then passes it to the wizard, something that can get out of hand when people use every trick in the book to gain advantage (charging + lore: greenskins + landing a hit quickly totals three advantage in a turn RAW, which can then be passed to a wizard to cast a spell next turn) if they're already planning to game the system...
I'm a bit confused by your statement. The way I understand the Intuition and Lore rules, you cannot use them during actual combat, you would have to spend a round out of combat observing your enemy or the situation around you to gain Advantage. So ideally when you are not engaged.

Also I saw someone in this thread say it was a problem that their Apprentice wizard was ramping up +8 Advantages... but you can only have as many as I/10 Advantages, so how would that get out of hand like that?
Orin J.

legion wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:31 am
Orin J. wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:22 pm advantage is something that deserves (and has) its own thread or two, but leadership is a possible issue- the wizard can channel for a few turns while someone else builds advantage, and then passes it to the wizard, something that can get out of hand when people use every trick in the book to gain advantage (charging + lore: greenskins + landing a hit quickly totals three advantage in a turn RAW, which can then be passed to a wizard to cast a spell next turn) if they're already planning to game the system...
I'm a bit confused by your statement. The way I understand the Intuition and Lore rules, you cannot use them during actual combat, you would have to spend a round out of combat observing your enemy or the situation around you to gain Advantage. So ideally when you are not engaged.

Also I saw someone in this thread say it was a problem that their Apprentice wizard was ramping up +8 Advantages... but you can only have as many as I/10 Advantages, so how would that get out of hand like that?
the I/10 limit, you'll notice, is an optional rule and not part of the basic stuff. also "out of combat" means out of melee combat, unengaged and you can be VERY close and still remain "out of combat" (in fact you can be in melee range, and "out of combat" if neither you or the threat attacked one another last turn RAW). though i think literally everyone here will tell you the I/10 limit is "mandatory".

anyways, without that limit, channeling, talents, and good team placement mean that wizards are a very viable and often extremely powerful character. and after some good advancements, potentially extremely overpowered.
legion

Not arguing with that, I just want to be very sure of the dynamic you described, you cannot charge and run a lore test on the same round, right? They would both be full actions
Orin J.

legion wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:30 pm Not arguing with that, I just want to be very sure of the dynamic you described, you cannot charge and run a lore test on the same round, right? They would both be full actions
it'd be two different people doing those things in the example. but you could potentially use lore until you are ready to charge though that would take time.