Winds of Magic

The enemy lurks in shadows
Herr Arnulfe

Cubicle 7 has done more tweaking on the spells (and other rules bits), and updated the PDF. This is one of those products that benefits tremendously from community 'beta-testing' before going to print IMO.
FasterThanJesus

Glad I didn't print it - in fairness I have learned my lesson.

Looking at the change notes on Twitter...

Numerous minor fixes
Fixed graphical bug with cover art
Updates to spell mechanics
Familiers now receive a fourth Talent option at tier 1
Minor tweaks to College Wizard Careers
Herr Arnulfe

The good folks over at the Rat Catcher's Discord group compiled a list of the PDF changes in a Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S4C ... jC-SA/edit
lazxrxuri1

interesting information
OldWorldFanboy

Did Winds of Magic change ingredients being consumed with every attempt to channel or cast a spell? The sentence regarding an ingredient being consumed was deleted in Winds of Magic, which I thought was on purpose because playing a spell caster is difficult enough already.

May thanks for any feedback.

WFRP 4e Core Rulebook, page 236
Ingredients
Spellcasters may channel their magic through an appropriate ingredient before unleashing their spells. Doing this offers protection against Miscasts as the attuned ingredient absorbs the worst of any magical backlash.

If you use an ingredient when casting, any suffered Major Miscast becomes a Minor Miscast, and any Minor Miscast has no effect. If used in this way, the ingredient is consumed or destroyed by the process, even if no Miscast was rolled.

Ingredients cost the CN in silver shillings for Arcane and Lore spells. Whenever you purchase a new ingredient, mark on your character sheet which spell it supports; ingredients only work for specific spells, not for all spells in your Lore. For those looking to add character to their ingredients, sample ingredients for each of the primary Lores of Magic are provided by the individual spell lists.

Winds of Magic, page 21
Ingredients
An ingredient may be used during spellcasting to reduce the risk of Miscasts. If a spellcaster uses an ingredient while casting, they can do one of the following:
* A Major Miscast may be reduced to a Minor one.
* A Minor Miscast may be reduced to no effect.

Ingredients must be bought for a specific spell and cost the CN in silver shillings.
Orin J.

the new text looks to just be shorthand for the effects in the old text, and says nothing about if it's consumed or not. in this case i would refer back to the main rulebook for clarification, which means yes it's still consumed.
Athinar

Question about Spell Scrolls, they are one shot magic items like potions, I see noting about coping them into the grimoire? (Like D&D, the spell caster can copy the spell from the scroll into the spell book and the scroll is used in the process but D&D Scrolls has nothing about built in Command Words)

Who would have thought that a Scroll could have a Command Word written in crayon so a peasant could cast it

I am playing in a game and my character is a Elven Wizard and the wizard sent a request to the Elven Council, please send one or more Ghyran spells because the wizard has only one. The Elven Council sent 2 Spell Scrolls, how to copy them into the Spell Book? How do wizards trade spells with other wizards? by writing in a Grimoire and send that or writing on a scroll, one spell one scroll?

We have been playing these characters for 3 years

wiki 1st and 3rd
A magical scroll does not include the full instructions for casting a spell, it just contains the instructions for releasing the magical energy with which it has been charged. Therefore, a wizard may not learn a spell from a scroll in the same way he might from a grimoire or from training and practice with a senior wizard.[2b]
Orin J.

essentially, there are scrolls with the formulae for casting spells and Scrolls empowered to cast spells. we can assume the concil gave you spells to learn and not scroll to cast to save face with your GM (who should have read that your characters grimore can and should have more than on spell for him to cast in it).

also the wikis are not to be trusted and this isn't 1st or 3rd, these things can work differently.
Athinar

Pg 164, Grimoires come in a variety of formats from thick tomes to a single scroll or leaflet,
Dim_shadow

Did anyone notice the removal of SL to "magic missile" spells., and revised overcasting rules. I am of two minds on the matter. I like the ability to tweak spells but magic became a lot less impressive and less damaging.

- Dim