A WFRP 2e Character Builder

The thousand threads
prof_eggburger

(This is a duplicate of a post I just made to the warhammerfantasyrpg subreddit)

tl;dr: WFRP Character Builder v0.2 is available here:http://bit.ly/2RuAOWd-WFRP-Char-Builder

Hi there.

Ever wanted, on the spur of the moment, to quickly introduce an NPC to your 2e campaign with skills and talents and stats that make some sense - and maybe a name and a bit of flavour wouldn't hurt. A Friar who started life as a Peasant, for instance. Or a Dwarven Militiaman with a mysterious past as an Outlaw? Of course, it's a lot of fun building these characters with the rule-book in hand, but it can take time and sometimes time is in short supply at the table.

Or maybe you just wanted some inspiration for the next chapter of your campaign, and feel it would be cool to generate some random characters at the touch of a button and see what they make you think about.

Or you want to build a new starting character carefully from scratch and want your computer to help make sure you do it right.

Anyway, if you like generating 2e characters and you want to use your computer to help speed it up, this might be an interesting tool for you. The WFRP Character Builder is a text-based programme that allows you to build a character with a name, race, gender, appearance, family, birth place, birthday star sign and dooming, and stats, skills, talents, and trappings associated with one or more careers just by answering a few questions and picking between a few options. You can build characters manually, making all the decisions yourself, or you can automatically generate characters and let the computer do all the work.

Download the zipfile here: http://bit.ly/2RuAOWd-WFRP-Char-Builder

It contains an executable that should work under Windows, and a readme.txt file that I guess will never actually get read, but does include some useful info, and a parameter file that you can ignore if you like.

So: download, extract and double click the .exe to get started.

This is a beta version - there will be bugs - please message me here if you find any and I will fix them for you. If you can't get it to run at all, let me know. Any feedback that would help me make it better would be very gratefully received. It's always going to be a little clunky because of the text interface and text output. But let me know how you end up using it, whether it is useful for anything in particular or at all, etc. Feel free to share it with anyone - please include the readme.txt file if you do, though.

Some example random characters generated by the code just now using a few keystrokes can be viewed here:

Elsina Frueh the Charcoal-Burner, just starting out on her first adventure.

Lucie Naubhof, who must have seen some shit during her rise from Mercenary, to Sergeant, and then Captain, before her fall through Agitator and Zealot to bat-shit crazy Flagellant.
Graak

Which careers are included? From which modules?
prof_eggburger

All the core rulebook careers so far.

I'd like to extend it to include all the careers from the Careers Compendium.
Graak

It would be great for sure! Can't remember exactly but iirc CC still don't have ToC chaos careers.

Beware that published CC made a mess with career entrie&exits though. There should be a official FFG errata about that aspect. Look around, if you can't find it PM me, I'll check on my old notebook.
prof_eggburger

Yep I have the errata. The chaos careers are maybe a little weird to integrate with the rest but I will add that to the list of things to do. Did the code actually run ok for you? Before doing more I was hoping to get a sense of whether the thing actually works on other people's computers...
Mister Moe

prof_eggburger wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:29 pm So: download, extract and double click the .exe to get started.
No hard feelings, but even though I like the idea and appreciate your effords, I will certainly not start an .exe program on my computer. So I will need to keep my rulebook handy ;)
Graak

prof_eggburger wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 am ...
Did the code actually run ok for you? Before doing more I was hoping to get a sense of whether the thing actually works on other people's computers...
At the moment I don't have the time to dedicate to WFRP except lurking in the forums, I don't even play anymore. No personal offense but I wouldn't download and try any software for RPG since it's a very marginal part of my life atm.

In relation to the post of Mister Moe I suggest to work on a non-executable approach. His concerns are condivisible and quite widespread among any windows user. The hystorical moment for ICT is about online and cloud services,my advice would be towards an online generator.
If you need a good example for it, in case you want to try, I loved Malleus Maleficarum Wfrp NPC Generator (you can Google for it or find the link on the wfrp Resources topic in this board).
prof_eggburger

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it some thought.