Zapp's House Rules

The thousand threads
CapnZapp

After several years of games mastering v2, I have made a few PDFs with WFRP house rules, including shilling-based pricelists, tweaked weapon lists, skills, and more...

Download the zip-file from here:
https://yadi.sk/d/JWIurFC4iHfq7

If you have any comment or question, feel free to post here. :)
CapnZapp

Another board, another thread...

This is the same 2009 version previously posted at Strike to Stun, and FFG's now-defunct v2 forums before that (and the Black Industries house rules subforum before that). There are no changes in the last decade ;) although I will list errata here as found by feedback from you users (thank you!):

Q. What about Gold Marks? Why did you insert them? Do they exist in WFRP?
A. adding them is entirely my own idea (but obviously cribbing from the British guinea).

The short explanation is that I like the idea of having a coin with a built-in 5% tip. Whenever a gentleman - a noble or rich merchant - need to pay something substantial to their inferiors, they naturally do so in gold coins, being too important to deal in silver. When they do so, they can show off their class and sophistication by paying with a mark instead of a crown (obviously not asking for change).

Q. Why make it so that all attack actions (not just Swift Attack) can achieve many attacks (as long as you don't miss)?
A. The direct reason for having this (house) rule is that I have found that once you have Attacks 2+, Swift Attack becomes too good to not use as often as possible. Using Swift Attacks means staying put. Not moving about makes for static, boring combats. If you have a good WS, my hopes with this houserule is you might find that a regular attack plus a move can now compete with Swift Attack!

Clarification: You get to keep attacking (up to your Attacks value) as long as you "successfully make your attacks roll" whether parried/dodged or not. With Swift Attack, on the other hand, you get to do all your attacks regardless if you miss (just like in the rulebook).

Clarification: this generosity only helps ranged attackers if they can produce ammunition without spending actions. The purpose is to make melee fighters not choose Swift Attack all the time, not to increase the rate of fire for crossbows and gunpowder weapons.

Q. What about money in existing products?
A. Here's a "secret": dividing by 10 gives almost the same result as dividing by 12! :)

So yes, you're "supposed" to divide by twelve, but you could also decide to divide any specified amounts (such as the ones in the rulebook given to starting characters) by ten which is much easier and faster.

It is also slightly more generous (handing out loot, awards, and monetary compensations specified in written adventures), which is only fair since you ask your players to put up with the extra bother of converting between pennies, shillings and crowns; which you could almost skip in v2's Americanized handling of coinage ("all that matters is the gold").

Q. regarding the range you have listed for Crossbow Pistols, Pistols, and Repeater Pistols, what does the PB+ before the range mean?
A. Sorry that's "Point Blank" (range), a couple of yards at most or much the same as "melee reach". The range where the rulebook says you can't use ranged weapons in. But with my document, you can (as long as the weapon's reach starts with PB).

Errata: a Crossbow Pistol is listed as PB + 8/16/24 which reveals I can't count. It should be a PB + 8/16/32

Errata: In the document 'WFRP House Rules 2009.pdf' under the 'Skill & Talents>Advanced Skills Made Basic' it lists something called 'Common Language' as one of the advanced skills made basic. This is supposed to be 'Common Knowledge'.

Q. Can I host these files on my website?
A. You don't need my permission to freely duplicate these files. I would advise against trying to selling them for money or claiming you wrote them yourself, though. I simply don't think that would be worth the trouble 8-)
Graak

Again I'm here to say thank you for the rules. If I can I would like to stress out the one that was most important to me: the rule about the number of attacks you can make when you don't chose Swift Attack.
It literally saved my games. It made combat less static and less predictable (compared to Charge followed by Swift Attacks until death) and added value to most of the other fight Actions even for characters with more than 1 attack.
CapnZapp

CapnZapp

Great to see that Chuck keeps this place alive, and I'm glad to see quite a lot of activity here (in all subforums) :)

Just wanted to say I swung by today after a long absence (the v4 rules nearly destroyed my love for WFRP) and, to my great surprise, the yandex link to my houserules zip is still active!

I'll try to check back in a couple of weeks if anyone's got any questions; otherwise (if this message is posted many months ago when you read it) EN World should be a good bet on where to reach me (not that EN World has anything to do with WFRP).

Cheers!

PS. Just a quick peek in September '23 - no messages for me so everybody's doing good. See ya
Last edited by CapnZapp on Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orin J.

i'll bite, what is EN World?
CapnZapp

Orin J. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:34 pm i'll bite, what is EN World?
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=EN+World