Magic and Alignment

A small but vicious board
hallucyon

The issue I would like to discuss is related strictly to the first edition in its primal pre-Hogshead era. So, please, no Colour Magic, no Tzeentch's Curse, no Corruption rules, etc.

On p. 138 the first-edition rulebook reads:
The study and practice of the unspeakable art of Demonology and Necromancy soon take their toll on the magician's mind and body. Likewise, Evil and Chaotic magicians following other magical careers also suffer physical and mental degeneration. This is reflected by the acquisition of one or more Penalties at each level.
Now, does it mean that magic is a force which can be utilised by magicians with all alignments, but at the same time it isn't per se morally indifferent? After all, Lawful, Good and Neutral characters suffer no negative consequences of following magician careers.

Any thoughts?
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Off the cuff...

It would suggest to me that the practice of magic, to some degree, draws on and/or is influenced by the temperament (or some such) of the practitioner, and that it feeds back upon the practitioner. I also recall it being written somewhere that souls (the souls of the dead at least) are drawn together in groups with the same dominant emotions and motives, or something along those lines. I think it was in the document 'Chaos - The Fictional Background In GW Games' that was scanned and put online. Perhaps the practice of magic means that the soul of the person is to some degree in greater contact with the warp, as it were, and thereby draws in, and is drawn to, groups of souls with a similar temperament and dominant emotions and the like, the greatest of which are the 'Powers' (the gods and daemons). As such the practitioner comes under their influence, albeit perhaps 'unconsciously' for the most part, unless the practioner makes a concerted effort to ally themselves to a particular power, preferably one suitable to them.
Orin J.

totsuzenheni wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:26 pm Off the cuff...

It would suggest to me that the practice of magic, to some degree, draws on and/or is influenced by the temperament (or some such) of the practitioner, and that it feeds back upon the practitioner. I also recall it being written somewhere that souls (the souls of the dead at least) are drawn together in groups with the same dominant emotions and motives, or something along those lines. I think it was in the document 'Chaos - The Fictional Background In GW Games' that was scanned and put online. Perhaps the practice of magic means that the soul of the person is to some degree in greater contact with the warp, as it were, and thereby draws in, and is drawn to, groups of souls with a similar temperament and dominant emotions and the like, the greatest of which are the 'Powers' (the gods and daemons). As such the practitioner comes under their influence, albeit perhaps 'unconsciously' for the most part, unless the practioner makes a concerted effort to ally themselves to a particular power, preferably one suitable to them.
to further elaborate on this, it's mentioned in several places that "dark" magic is corrupting, and people of an evil and selfish bent are more likely to ignore or feel above the consequences of of using it, so a well-intentioned wizard practicing amber magic would be more wary of allowing vile energies to seep into their casting but a more self-important one would simply ignore the risk because it means much more power now. the lure of evil tends to work best on those who don't see any value in the warnings.
hallucyon

Thanks to both of you for posting your replies.