Half-Elves in first edition Old World

A small but vicious board
Dreamy Trenches

I have been wondering about half-elves in Old World. Tried to search the net but found only some very old and obscure comments from WFB discussion boards that there we mentioned In first edition warhammer as possible but rare? Anyone has anymore info or an opinnion. Defenders of the forest from Liber Fanatica does not mention them I think. I have skimmed it through but not read everything.
Hyarion

*Can* half-elves exist? Yes. Can you be just as close to lore-canon without including half-elves in your game? Yes.
Do you, the GM, *want* half-elves to exist? What do you hope to gain by using a half-elf in your story?
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Dreamy Trenches

My thought is that in Old World half- elves are a bit like half-orcs. Not welcomed by the elves but tolerated, Humans would hardly know they existed. They would be rare and perhaps pass as humans if they wanted unlike half-orcs and used as spies by the elves when they needed certain info from humans. I was thinking of using an Spy half elf who is hunted by other elves for some misdeed ( in the eyes of the elves but not humans/PC:s ). Why an half elf and not full elf? Because my PC:s would propably call it business between elves and leave it at that. Human would be too easy they ( and other humans ) would side with the human automatically almost no matter what he/she had done.
Hyarion

I was thinking of using an Spy half elf who is hunted by other elves for some misdeed ( in the eyes of the elves but not humans/PC:s ).

A spy? who were they spying on? Why? If they're spying on other elves for other elves, why should humans PCs get involved?
If they're spying on humans for elves, why should that be a crime to the elves?
If they're spying on humans for other humans, why would they use a half elf?
If they're spying on elves for some humans, now that's interesting (and motivating!).
Because my PC:s would propably call it business between elves and leave it at that.
Then I would (politely), say that you haven't made the elves devious enough. They view humans with their pitifully short life-spans and short-sighted views on politics, the environment, economics, and basically everything, as little more than well meaning animals. Humans fall into 3 categories, a meatshield to be propped up to absorb the casualties from Chaos incursions, barbarians to be ignored, or threats to be put down (or some combination thereof) but not trusted friends or allies.

With all of that said, if you feel you need half-elves in your game, go for it. You might be able to get better mileage out of a magically altered full blooded elf.

Personally, I tend to take a more Tolkien-esque view that half-elves should be world-influencing like few others combining the wisdom and longevity and willpower of the elves with the enthusiasm and boundless energy of the humans. The only thing that stops the elves from conquering the world is a single-minded focus on perfectionism, and a lack of energy to pursue ambition. The only thing that stops humans from conquering the world is a short lifespan which prevents them from accomplishing all that they might desire. Combine both of those and you have something truly special.
Dreamy Trenches

Hyarion. You ask all the right questions. You must be an professional writer/playwright/RPG designer etc. I see that I have taken the easy way ( or the lazy way) in my adventure plans. I am going to use your idea.

”If they are spying on elves for some humans, now that is interesting ( and motivating!)”

Also my tech skills are so bad that could not take that sentence straight from your post. Had to write it. I am combining that absolutely brilliant plan with reverse on my earlier plan. Half elves can pass as elves if they want to but not as humans ( or its is difficult). He/She is on the run and in come the PC:s.

This is way better Then my original sloppy and very standard adventure plan where the only unstandard thing was that there was an half elf in it. Thanks again for the free lesson on making adventures.
Hyarion

Thank you for the compliment! I'm just a fellow amateur hobbyist. I hope you're able to get some good story ideas worked out, let us know if you need any additional help, and let us know how it goes.