Where to go? Where to avoid?

We’re not in the Old World any more
HappyDaze

The Mortal Realms are HUGE. Even with Realmgates to link them, they are literally several worlds to explore. So, are there any particular parts of the Moral Realms that you find most interesting for setting Soulbound games (and why)? Any particular parts you tend to avoid (and why)?

I know that The Great Parch is given as a default setting, and it has the most detail currently, but is there anywhere else that really strikes your interest?
Hyarion

I have been a big fan of the Death Gate Cycle novels for a long time, so while it may not be the most canonically faithful imagination, I think you could have a lot of fun with
Ghyran <-> Pryan
Azyr <-> Aranius
Aqshy <-> Aberrach

Of those, Ghyran or Azyr is probably the one that grabs at me the most because they change some of the basic assumptions of how you get around.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
HappyDaze

Hyarion wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:03 pm Of those, Ghyran or Azyr is probably the one that grabs at me the most because they change some of the basic assumptions of how you get around.
Could you elaborate on those changed assumptions? I have not read the novels you mentioned.
Hyarion

Pryan is an immense jungle world that we would call a Dyson Sphere with a sun in the middle surrounded by an orbital-sized shell of rock. The trees grow hundreds of meters tall in layers upon layers of vegetation and tiered cities are built on their broad branches. These trees are fed by vast subterranean lakes and oceans where no sunlight has ever penetrated and which only some of the bravest and deepest of dwarves have ever seen with their own eyes. Dirt, physical soil, doesn't exist in any vast quantity at the surface level (except for what various mosses and fungi decompose from other dying vegetation) but has to be mined like ore and brought to the surface. Horses are only marginally useful here except on vast moss plains (themselves capable of supporting lakes and rivers) but large domesticated insects like ants and beetles are the preferred beasts of burden because of their ability to traverse the 3-dimensionality of the terrain.

More to come later.
Hyarion

Aranius is a world with no solid planetoid. Instead it is a sphere of air held together by magic, interspersed by floating islands of a light pumice like substance (Azyrite). This porous 'stone' (unlike the original source material, Azyrite is easily sealed to hold water) is produced by Azyr Grubs which also produce a lighter than air substance which can be trapped by the Azyrite becoming itself lighter than air. Travel is done exclusively by Pegasus, Griffon, Dragon, or Zeppelin.

Given it's unique physical geography/makeup Aranius is a desert world. Water is scarce here and the vast variations in air pressure mean that water is hard to come by. It must be farmed out of the air (similar to vaporators/condensers in Dune) or collected/transported from the perpetual thunderstorm that exists at lower altitudes.